A new HD Recorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics

Old May 6th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #1
Inner Circle

A new HD Recorder

I was tipped to this on another site: http://ffv.com/page/videoproducts.htm

This unit, "Elite HD" records to laptop hard drives using the Jpeg2000 codec at 100 Mbps.

It does not mention 1080p though, only 1080i and 720p.

I called the company and was told 7 hours of recording with a 300 gig drive.

Supposed to be shipping in six weeks.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #2
New Boot

Elite HD

Did they mention the price?
Reg
Reg Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

If my memory is correct the rep I spoke to at NAB said $6,000.
Benjamin Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes, they told me $6,000 yesterday as well.
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:21 PM   #5
Major Player

There just has to be ...

some realism thrown into the mix here! The unit sounds good but is way over priced. A portable HD/SDI connected mobile hard drive recording solution should costs around $2,000 at tops!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:29 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I agree, but maybe in a year or two!

First to market will be the highest price.

I don't know the codec licensing fees & R&D costs, but $6,000 seems expensive when laptops along with a screen cost $700.

Must be volume of sales.
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:50 PM   #7
Major Player

R&d ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
I agree, but maybe in a year or two!

First to market will be the highest price.

I don't know the codec licensing fees & R&D costs, but $6,000 seems expensive when laptops along with a screen cost $700.

Must be volume of sales.
I agree that a company wants to recoup as much money put into R&D and fees for licensing codecs ASAP but heaven forbid! There has to be some realism in the plan. A unit that does just one thing and that is to record 4.2.2 via HD/SDI into removable 2.5 hard drives is a wonderful concept but at that price point we are talking about a fully tricked out laptop computer that does much more! Volume on sales of a specialized item has it's obvious limits but we are talking about a stable market that is for all intents and purposes growing! The Elite HD is beautiful and I for one would love to have one but I just can't validate the price point!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 05:43 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I wish somebody made a tricked out laptop with an SDI input as well as the LCD screen being setup to live monitor.

That would be great.

A smaller model with a 9" screen and a couple of fast hard drives would be quite useful.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:31 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post

Must be volume of sales.
I don't think you can compare niche products with mass produced electronic goods made in China. However, given the market they're aiming at 1080p with frame rates other than standard broadcast should part of the spec.

If you could fit one on a EX3, you could have a good set up if this had 1080p. Although, you'd need to do your sums in case you start nosing some higher end cameras without any real gains. You'd also need to consider editing JPEG 2000, although this is now being used in other systems.

There are loads of filming situations where a laptop isn't practical. Although, I know people who record DVPRO HD from a JVC HD 250 using the HD SDI out and recording onto a laptop.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Well I mention the Laptop idea because I really prefer to always have an external monitor, no matter what I am shooting if I can get away with it.

The Laptop would have capture and monitoring in a small package.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics