EX1 SxS Files Straight to the SATA Drives? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics

Old July 24th, 2008, 04:28 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bland View Post
Does the USB 2.0 only transfer footage as 25mbs even when it's shot at 35mbs???
No, it transfers the data (files) just like any card reader (or USB disk/stick/etc). It mounts the cards as accessible drives and you can copy files to an fro (although be careful with the fro). It has nothing to do with the "video" and how it was recorded.

Via firewire (i.Link) you can play out a video and capture it on a FW capable system. This only works for 25Mbps SP mode (HDV compatible).

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:42 AM   #17
Major Player

Right-o George.

So I understand it will copy the files as they were shot 25mbs or 35mbs with all the associated metadata.

Copying back to the camera the video..... will have different qualities. Like what?

So I should be able to pull the files off of the camera via USB 2.0 and place them into the external SATA via Express 34 slot.

Great :)
Jonathan Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:05 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bland View Post
Copying back to the camera the video..... will have different qualities. Like what?
Not sure what you mean or thought I meant. So to clarify my previous post, you can write any data to the camera via the USB connection. Word documents if that's what you want, or edited files (in the XDCAM codec and proper format). HOWEVER you should be careful with that as the camera may not 'appreciate' unexpected files or structures. This is most usefull for saving the Picture Profiles and putting them back into the camera.

You can play out (record) via i.LINK to the camera, but only for HDV compatible signals. See page 115 of the manual.

George/

Last edited by George Kroonder; July 24th, 2008 at 08:16 AM. Reason: With 'this' I mean writing files to the SxS...
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:32 AM   #19
Major Player

Thank George :)

Checking the manual.....
Jonathan Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #20
Major Player

Jonathan,

The Sony USB card reader will transfer any format the camera will shoot, it just loads slower than using the PCIExpress 34 slot.

When you were first setting up your system, this was the main reason I was suggesting FW800 drives. It makes it much faster and easier to load the files from the cards.

What you give up is the speed of the SATA RAID. It is a judgement call.

Good luck with your trip,

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #21
Major Player

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for jumping in here.

I'm not in a news room so speed is kind of meaningless at this point but I do hear you on the FW800.

Also I have 4 16 gig and 2 8gig cards so I don't expect to be in a bind.

I'd just be happy to come home a dump the cards while making dinner.... it's not like it takes a month to transfer err somethin'

Just putting the final pieces together before stepping out..... along with way to many Heinekens. Ahhhhh the Dutch ;)
Jonathan Bland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics