Portable hd sdi rec jpeg 2000 10 bit 4.2.2. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics

Old December 24th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Portable hd sdi rec jpeg 2000 10 bit 4.2.2.

Anybody with user feedback on this recorder ?

Elite HD JPEG 2000 Recorder / cam mount / HD SDI / 10 bit / 4.2.2. @ 100 M/bits data rate.

http://www.ffv.com/products/elite_front_4.pdf
Herman Van Deventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I haven't heard a word about this unit in practical use, but I have done some research.

jpeg2000 as an aquisition format sounds great. Very little noise compared to other mpg2 codecs. But editing could be an issue as no NLE supports it natively. Cineform does have a $99 converter that will convert it to Cineform's Prospect codec which is excellent, but you must buy a full Prospect license with it. I'm already a Prospect user so great news for me.

The big issue with the Elite HD for me is price. The unit goes for around $7000! If it were just under or at $4000 I'd put an order in. As the price stands, it's just too much. Maybe in a year or two...
Chad Haufschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Available for "only" $6234.95!

Fast Forward Video | ELITE HD RECORDER w/HARD DRIVE

It takes some effort to make the Convergent Design Flash XDR product look inexpensive...
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #4
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Koehler View Post
Available for "only" $6234.95!

Fast Forward Video | ELITE HD RECORDER w/HARD DRIVE

It takes some effort to make the Convergent Design Flash XDR product look inexpensive...
Hi Bill-
I think you will be very pleased with the forthcoming nanoFlash, both from a price as well as video quality point of view. We have a Viper user who described the video quality as amazing! Not a small compliment from such a high-end camera user.

Watch for an announcement soon...
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Haufschild View Post
I haven't heard a word about this unit in practical use, but I have done some research.

jpeg2000 as an aquisition format sounds great. Very little noise compared to other mpg2 codecs. But editing could be an issue as no NLE supports it natively. Cineform does have a $99 converter that will convert it to Cineform's Prospect codec which is excellent, but you must buy a full Prospect license with it. I'm already a Prospect user so great news for me.

The big issue with the Elite HD for me is price. The unit goes for around $7000! If it were just under or at $4000 I'd put an order in. As the price stands, it's just too much. Maybe in a year or two...
I think Grass Valley's Edius is an NLE that supports JPEG2000. Not certain, but I recall with their Infinity camcorder shooting in this format, their NLE must support it.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post
Hi Bill-
I think you will be very pleased with the forthcoming nanoFlash, both from a price as well as video quality point of view. We have a Viper user who described the video quality as amazing! Not a small compliment from such a high-end camera user.

Watch for an announcement soon...
I will.

I also wanted to apologize for my cheap shot.
As a low end hobbyist, I am often amazed at the cost of hardware.
But I am also aware of what equipment used to cost and the quality levels attained by the new products couldn't be touched by the old at any price.

Last edited by Bill Koehler; January 25th, 2009 at 11:52 PM.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Haufschild View Post
jpeg2000 as an aquisition format sounds great. Very little noise compared to other mpg2 codecs. But editing could be an issue as no NLE supports it natively.
Drops right into Sony Vegas.
Old January 25th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear Bill,

Our upcoming nanoFlash will have both HDMI and HD-SDI inputs and outputs.

Whichever input you are using will automatically be sent to both outputs, so our nanoFlash functions as a format converter.

http://www.convergent-design.com/dow...20Brochure.pdf
Old January 25th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #9
Inner Circle

If your recorder was able to record directly to Cineform's codec I would be very very interested as a solution for integrating EX1/EX3 footage with SI2K origination. I too am using Prospect 4K.

As it stands, there is a conversion step in the pipeline to cineform's codec, so no workflow advantage over going the existing route for the EX1/EX3 into PC except the image quality improvement.

Last edited by Bob Hart; January 25th, 2009 at 10:41 PM. Reason: added text
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Dear Bob,

Sorry, but in order to provide a compact, portable HD recorder, one that used low enough power so that it could be powered from a battery, we could not include conversion to Cineform in our design.
Old January 25th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I was sort of guessing that there might be no hardware encoder system available for cineform's codec which would rule it out on your system.

Solutions for cineform codec so far seem to use some form of computer and software. The Wafian and SI2K both seem to be some sort of computer but I may be way wrong on this surmise.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Dear Bob,

As far as I know, your statements are correct. I do not know of any hardware encoder for Cineform.

At this time, to the best of my knowledge, one needs a computer with the proper software to convert to Cineform.

(I do not know of any 2 to 3 Ghz, small size, low power, battery operated computer to run Cineform software either.)

Either of these statements could change in the future.

When it comes to working with our images, please consider the following:

Typically, when one uses 1440 x 1080 MPEG2 Long-Gop images, there is a lot of processing going on to display the images. Specifically one has to typically convert the 1440 to 1920.

With a Full Raster imager, such as in an EX1 or EX3, recorded Full Raster (1920 x 1080) in our Flash XDR, then there is less processing that needs to be done to display the images.

The above helps, but does not eliminate all of the processing of Long-GOP images.

Of course, many will still want to convert to Cineform as part of their workflow.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics