Alternative route ? Hdsdi high bitrate recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics

Old January 21st, 2009, 02:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Alternative route ? Hdsdi high bitrate recording

With a current situation worldwide where cam manufacturers sell thousands of HDSDI equipped cameras to the market but leaving the user with no affordable higher bitrate devices to record to, seems more and more like a "conspiracy".

Obviously utilising the HDSDI output on higher bitrate capable recorders is a treat to their high end products.

Anyway - I need to capitalize on my uncompressed HDSDI output.Staying in the third world where our currency is not even worth one tenth to the American Dollar it becomes a huge financial burden to own equipment.

Lately, remarkable potable recorders has seen the light, but way out of budget for a third world citizen.

In my search for alternative solutions I came upon this very interesting "solutions" -
HDSDI to DVB-ASI Transmitter 4.2.2. @ 190 Mbps - mpeg TS.model hdc 3000e.

Press release / http://www.big-frontiers.co.jp/en/st...Dc3000e_en.pdf

The next device is a USB / DVB -ASI mpeg 2 Transport Stream recorder / AT 70X USB.

http://www.alitronika.com/datasheet/...sheet_full.pdf

With JVC steering in a "transmission" direction, what is our options to utilize equipment like these ?

I have no "Transmission" knowledge in this regard and would like to hear opinions on this matter.

Sorry for the poor English.Not my native language.

The third World.
Herman Van Deventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:16 PM   #2
Major Player

HD/SDI recording ...

Both those devices look interesting and might work well in multi-camera shoots. I'd check convergent designs nano/flash or XDR flash unit however as the bitrates are very high and flash cards are very cheap.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #3
New Boot

why uncompressed?

how about solid state HDSDI capture using a small-footprint pc and Cineform "visually perfect" codec. Currently 4:2:2, 4:4:4 coming in April/May. Can be configured with a 12V psu for battery operation.

total cost around USD 4-7K depending.

it's what I use for field recording, ssd means you can drop the pc while recording and no problem.
Charles Dautremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Van Deventer View Post
With a current situation worldwide where cam manufacturers sell thousands of HDSDI equipped cameras to the market but leaving the user with no affordable higher bitrate devices to record to, seems more and more like a "conspiracy".

Obviously utilising the HDSDI output on higher bitrate capable recorders is a treat to their high end products.

Anyway - I need to capitalize on my uncompressed HDSDI output.Staying in the third world where our currency is not even worth one tenth to the American Dollar it becomes a huge financial burden to own equipment.

Lately, remarkable potable recorders has seen the light, but way out of budget for a third world citizen.

In my search for alternative solutions I came upon this very interesting "solutions" -
HDSDI to DVB-ASI Transmitter 4.2.2. @ 190 Mbps - mpeg TS.model hdc 3000e.

Press release / http://www.big-frontiers.co.jp/en/st...Dc3000e_en.pdf

The next device is a USB / DVB -ASI mpeg 2 Transport Stream recorder / AT 70X USB.

http://www.alitronika.com/datasheet/...sheet_full.pdf

With JVC steering in a "transmission" direction, what is our options to utilize equipment like these ?

I have no "Transmission" knowledge in this regard and would like to hear opinions on this matter.

Sorry for the poor English.Not my native language.

The third World.
...Stay tuned friend. We are developping a compact SD card recorder which will handle an HD-SDI input or output stream. However, we are in the earliest stages of our project's development, but be advised an affordable solution is on its way. Go to the thread "Our Project to Create a Cost Effective Solid State HD Video Recording Device Begins" thread for more info.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #5
New Boot

Hallo Hermann!!!

Just glad to hear (well I'm sorry too...), somebody else in the 3rd World with this issue...

I didn't know things in South Africa were as hard as here in Argentina... Did you know we are competing countries (with NZ and Chile) in the international production services, etc?
Past couple years Argentina has been loosing its share with South Africa, guess you are doing things better, and we became expensive!!!

Anyway, I guess we are really crazy people struggling against all odds. At DVinfo I see people in the US having for hobbie some pieces of gear we have to risk our kids futures to have. Yet we are doing it, galantly.

I'm on the search of a HD-SDI workflow solution too, and as far as I can see, I cannot afford any. I'm more on the post side of the road, so I'm more concerned by monitoring and processing power.

Nanoflash and the like are really cool, but costs as much as a top-notch laptop and more. So you have to go thru a I/O device (MXO2 LE, Io, etc.), plus eSATA RAID and the like. In the bottom-line, I end up stuck as I cannot afford an HDSDI capable monitor. So I have to find a mix of HDMI/HDSDI workflow... Stuck again!!!

As you say, today even the prosumer cams are coming with HD-SDI (notably, NXCAMs). That seems to be a catch for us to perceive them as a more professional setup, than a real compromise with deploying better tools, as there is a huge gap in the middle. A "no man's land".

Anyway, we are going to keep on ,don't we??? Whom else would do documentaries, TV shows and feature films in argentinian spanish or afrikáans or vietnamese?? We are the world media Quijotes!!! But instead of windmills we are chasing satelites!!!

Cheers!!!
Federico Palma is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics