2 terabyte card ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 10th, 2004, 04:09 PM   #1
Inner Circle

2 terabyte card ?

Anyone have any info on the storage technology and pricing ?
This is quite a leap in compact storage capacity if it's true.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20040805A4013.html

Taiwanese manufacturers are planning to launch a 2 terabyte memory card which can transfer 120MB per second, 10 times faster than Secure Digital cards. The ‘ìcard’, which is the same size as an SD card, will be unveiled at Taipei International Electronics Show, Taitronics, October 8-12. Manufactured by Taiwan’s Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI), it will be USB 2.0-compatible and will also offer compatibility with other media storage cards. You can bet that’ll be nice and cheap.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 04:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

It's important to note that the 2TB is the maximum capacity and not what will be released in 2005. We are many years from a compact form factor for 2TB.

But, the news is nice and will certainly renew interest in the market.
Scott Balkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 08:59 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm more interested in the transfer rate, than storage capacity. I'd like to see this card's pricing at...say 20GB (assuming it isn't vaporware).
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2004, 04:11 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I haven't been able to find a base technology that would suit
this announcement. Not even "Cellular RAM" or MRAM seem to
fit the bill. The density is just too darn high.

Here's some info on a new announcement of "Cellular RAM".
The density of the new part isn't anywhere near current DDR memory, which isn't even close to anything that would produce 1 TByte in the near future. Cellular RAM basically operates at "flash" memory power levels but offers much higher burst mode transfer rates. I didn't see any mention of sustained transfer rates, which are more important for digital imaging.

http://www.eeproductcenter.com/memor...cleID=29100557
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #5
New Boot

Try laCie

I have a LaCie terabyte drive, though its pricey, it was developed with the film and sound industry in mind, so good streaming & transfer rates. I think it came out at about $0.50 a gig - David
David Priestley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics