Jamming Time Code? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 13th, 2005, 07:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Feeding cameras common TC (was -Jamming Time Code?)

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum to raise this question, and I even think I know the answer, but technology progresses so rapidly, who knows? And I read that some of these drives have a way of recording time code but it's not clear what the implications are.

In a few months I'll be doing a three or four camera shoot. As of now we will be using XL-1 and XL-1s - in other words, MiniDV which has no NTSC timecode and does not, as far as I can tell, accept externally generated code.

I've shot multi-camera Mini-DV, and even DVCAM, but keeping the cameras in sync in post is always a huge problem, especially when we are editing 8 hours x # of cameras. I've thought of recording directly to disc, but other than saving us the time to digitize, I don't know if it'll help us.

IS there any way of feeding common time code to several cameras? It doesn't have to be NTSC as long as we can easily sync them in post.

Thank you in advance.
Old January 16th, 2005, 03:51 PM   #2
Contributor

Hi Ozzie,

If you are going to be editing on an Avid. You can use portable TC generators mounted on all of the cameras and have them record onto one of the audio channels of each camera. Avids (at least Avid way back when I was working with them) could display TC from the audio track.

I hope that is a help

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Daniel,

Thank you for the suggestion. Boy, that's really the "old" way. It's so crazy it just might work. The only concern with TC on the audio channel is bleed through, as in the old days.
Old January 16th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #4
Contributor

Just don't turn the input volume up too loud :')

I would also be interested in any other solutions.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 09:26 AM   #5
Contributor

Hi Ozzie,

It might be worth your while to wait until the FS-4 Pro is released.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics