Multi-Camera to Disc at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 11th, 2005, 09:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Multi-Camera to Disc

For my corporate filiming, I would like to be able to take 2 different cameras direct to disc. I use Vegas 5. Has anyone seen a setup that allows 2 different streams to come in to a firewire card and capture to 2 seperate files? Is this possible or would I need 2 different computers each capturing the footage?

Thanks.
Brian Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 04:57 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

To the best of my knowledge this is not currently possible. I read
somewhere that the system gets confused. I've seen it done with
USB webcams though....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #3
Major Player

You could use multiple cameras with a mixer using S-Video and send the output by way of S-video to the "PYRO A/V Link with Premiere Elements (API-555)".

You would still be recording one camera at a time but have a way to switch from one camera to another.

The link is: http://www.adstech.com/products/API-555/intro/api555_intro.asp?pid=API-555

Using DV Rack, one could compare cameras and make sure they are all setup properly. I think one can use more than one fire wire port and switch between the two with DV Rack and also compare cameras to check for proper setup but not record both at the same time.

As for capturing two or more cameras at the same time on one computer, I doubt that.

Danny Fye
Old February 15th, 2005, 07:58 PM   #4
Serious Magic

Right now, you can only record a single DV Stream at a time using DV Rack. If you have multiple FireWire feeds from cameras, there is a Menu setting in DV Rack to choose which camera is currently active. This isn't a "clean" switch, meaning that you cannot be recording when changing sources, and there will be a 1-2 second delay while the feed switches over. However, it's useful if you want to compare cameras. Record a bit from Cam 1, switch over to cam 2, use the split screen function with the recorded Cam1 clip and the live feed from Cam 2, etc.

To get ISO feeds from each camera right now, you'd need laptops for each camera, and a copy of DV Rack running on each laptop.
Karl Soule is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics