Laptop multi-camera recording. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics

Old May 19th, 2005, 03:01 PM   #1
Major Player

Laptop multi-camera recording.

Is this even possible... if I connect two miniDV devices to a laptop (or a desktop really) and run two different capture programs and have them writing to 2 physically separate drives?

Will most capture programs choke when there's 2 cameras connected?

I guess I could just try this but if someone already has and know that only very specific software and/or hardware combinations will work please share you experience.

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin Kimmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:54 AM   #2
Contributor

I don't think that this is possible, for at least one reason. How do the capture programs identify which camera belongs to which program? The cameras don't have IDs.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The capture program I used under Linux, dvgrab, does allow for capture from multiple cameras at the same time. But, each camcorder must be able to reassign it's device number on the firewire bus. Many camcorders do not allow this. (FYI: DV cameras are usually device number 63). I have not done this as I only own one camcorder, but this information comes from the programmer who wrote dvgrab and he has done it.

From my experiences with capture under Windows, you would need a very high end system. Since you want to record to separate hard drives anyway, my suggestion would be to setup two indedendent laptops.
David Suthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 05:15 PM   #4
New Boot

Canopus DV capture can do 3 cam at the same time, but you need Storm card.
Frank Yap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 10:22 PM   #5
Major Player

multiple capture.....

via a firewire switcher may be the way to go if you consider doing it live.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics