DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   External Recording Various Topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/)
-   -   Budgeting Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/47597-budgeting-audio.html)

Robert Neville July 12th, 2005 05:00 PM

Budgeting Audio

I have been budgeting a HDV documentary. Most areas are straight forward to me except for production audio. This forum has been completely helpful, yet my time focuses on making phone calls and preparing this plan; rather than reading every post on the forum.

I could use some pointers on what's required for good production audio. Some short descriptions on typical sound packages would help me when calling rental houses (some houses won't even talk to you without an equipment list; and their rate cards are way over priced). The shoot would have 4 to 5 week duration. The crew may number 3 or 4 (depending on whether we go with two cameras or one). Shooting requires a run and gun approach with inspersed some confessional interviews.

In addition, what should one budget for a sound person, which could serve as a boom operator and mixer. Please let me know some pointers in the audio arena. High and low ranges for figures help me as well. Yes, we all want the ideal and best equipment, yet the figures dictate the reality.

Model numbers and specific brands on equipment help me perform Google searches to further my knowledge. Advice should help me understand the minimal requirements and what is overkill. Plus, advise me on how to articulate to the high ups why we need to budget for such and such. Fortunately or unfortunately, living in LA gives me access to many professionals with an understanding of the craft; yet you often encounter people who bring more equipment than they actually use (for good reason too). On this documentary shoot, this notion will kill the crew.

On second thought, PM me if your have any advice on other budget areas like camera packages, insurance, lights, etc. Again, this request refers to what did you require for your shoot and what compromises did you encounter with the expenses. Leave this thread for audio. Leave this thread for audio.

Ty Ford August 12th, 2005 11:09 PM

SNIP

--I could use some pointers on what's required for good production audio. Some short descriptions on typical sound packages would help me when calling rental houses (some houses won't even talk to you without an equipment list; and their rate cards are way over priced). The shoot would have 4 to 5 week duration. The crew may number 3 or 4 (depending on whether we go with two cameras or one). Shooting requires a run and gun approach with inspersed some confessional interviews.

**Bob, a lot depends on the gear you want/need. From the sound of it, you could probably get by with a boom, shotgun, hypercardioid, wind protection for each, handheld mic, mixer, headphones, and some cables. Toss in a couple of hardwired lavs just in case. Do you really need wireless for run and gun? If you get a Sound Devices 442 mixer, it can feed 2 (3 with a stretch) cameras simultaneously, provided the mixer to camera cables are long enough. If you want really good audio, you might even condsider "double recording" to both the camera and a timecode DAT machine or Fostex 2 Tr recorder.

--In addition, what should one budget for a sound person, which could serve as a boom operator and mixer. Please let me know some pointers in the audio arena. High and low ranges for figures help me as well. Yes, we all want the ideal and best equipment, yet the figures dictate the reality.

**Prices for good sound folks vary from place to place. Some charge for themselves and their gear separately. Most don't like working half days. I've seen $350-$500 for 8 hours for run and gun.

--Model numbers and specific brands on equipment help me perform Google searches to further my knowledge. Advice should help me understand the minimal requirements and what is overkill. Plus, advise me on how to articulate to the high ups why we need to budget for such and such. Fortunately or unfortunately, living in LA gives me access to many professionals with an understanding of the craft; yet you often encounter people who bring more equipment than they actually use (for good reason too). On this documentary shoot, this notion will kill the crew.

** Why?

On second thought, PM me if your have any advice on other budget areas like camera packages, insurance, lights, etc. Again, this request refers to what did you require for your shoot and what compromises did you encounter with the expenses. Leave this thread for audio. Leave this thread for audio.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Chris Hurd August 13th, 2005 10:20 AM

Quote:

On second thought, PM me if your have any advice on other budget areas like camera packages, insurance, lights, etc.
Actually, we have other discussion boards here for these topics, and I encourage you to use them. The problem with private email and private messaging is that everybody else is left out of the loop. The whole idea behind DV Info Net is that one person asks a question, but *everybody* benefits from the answers received in public. Please discuss these topics on our public boards. Thanks in advance,