Joining m2t files using Sony utility, not working at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 22nd, 2010, 08:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Joining m2t files using Sony utility, not working

Hi,

I have Windows Vista 64 bit installed, and all my drives are NTFS. I did a quick test with my new Sony HVR-MRC1K by recording 3 images at 5 seconds each (CF card is a 32gig from Scandisk). I then used the Sony utility to copy them to my drive. I see the 3 sample clips and I press the Import button and it just copies those files to my pc.
The version of RU_util is 1.1

How can I join these 3 files into one using the RU_Util? (Without doing any type re-rendering).

I also tried Sony Vegas 9 and did the Import where it brought in the 3 clips as 3 separate files in the timeline.

Thanks

P.S. A mention of using DOS to do a copy \b which works fine for only 3 sample files, but this will be a problem for me when I will have 800 separate files to deal with plus multicam..

Last edited by Julius Smith; August 22nd, 2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Forgot to add more info
Julius Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 08:40 PM   #2
Major Player

It doesn't join short clips together. FAT32 limits clips to 4 gigs. It basically re-joins clips that are longer than 4 gigs so that they appear seamless or like 1 clip when watched.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 08:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Julius,

My basic understanding of this is that even though you're using NTFS, the MRC1K and the Sony utility use FAT32. As such, FAT32 will only support a maximum recording size of 4GB, therefore any clip bigger than 4GB will be split and that's when the utility will stitch them back together. Any clip under the 4 GB size does not get split and therefore cannot be joined together.

HTH

Michael

Looks like Greg beat me to the punch.
Michael Bray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics