DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   External Recording Various Topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/)
-   -   MCE QuickStream/ADS PYRO Drive and Citidisk (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/48426-mce-quickstream-ads-pyro-drive-citidisk.html)

Frank Dago July 27th, 2005 09:59 PM

MCE QuickStream/ADS PYRO Drive and Citidisk

I believe they are all make by shining technology (www.shining.com).Have a look at the utility included and firmware they are all the same. At least quickstream and citidisk are.

Daniel Kohl July 29th, 2005 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Euritt
i'm assuming that the pyro can be turned on manually to record the incoming dv signal, but there is no way to have the camera control the start/stop record function of the pyro, correct? control via the video camera is the big attraction of the firestore.

As far as I remember the ADS Pyro has the tape start/stop recognition, like the FS-4.

There are a few "big attractions" to the FS-4, which set it apart from the "smaller" capture devices, like the Citidisk, and Quickstream. I haven't held a Pyro drive in my hand, so I can't say for sure, but it sounds like Frank knows what he is talking about, and I would add the Pyro to this list.

The biggest attraction is the FS-4's stability. (It would interest me to know more about Jon East's experiences with the Pyro, since he seems to be the only one who has posted positive feedback about the Citidisk, Quickstream, and Pyro group of devices.) Judging from my own experience and a general negative feedback about the "Shining line" (Citidisk, Quickstream, Pyro), I would hazard to say that the FS-4 and Nnovia are the only D2D recorders of this type that are really reliable (although I have no personal experience with the Nnovia).

The fan noise is the biggest drawback on the FS-4.

Another drawbacks compared to the "Shining line" are Physical size and weight (which I find marginal, since even if the FS-4 is 25% heavier and bigger, it still fits just about anywhere).

Another drawback on the FS-4 compared to the "Shining line" may be it's battery life. But, although Focus has not come through with an independent charger solution, the fact, that one can swap the batteries on the FS-4 is very useful. (Focus needed to get on the ball about making a charger. However, as far as I am concerned, it's too late anyway since the battery system worked-out by Jon East and Todd Kivimaki is brilliant and even outdoes the function of typical chargers.) If the battery stops working on the "Shining line" then the device is dead, I don't think that getting that repaired, down the line, is going to be feasible.

The last major drawback on the FS-4 compared to the "Shining line" is it's price. But if you look at the list of (useful) functions the FS-4 has, that the "Shining line" doesn't: LCD Display (with battery life indicator, TC display, HDD space remaining (recording time left on HDD)), Playback over the camera viewfinder with designated buttons (forward, backward, play, stop, skip to previous clip, skip to next clip), and others. The higher price may be justified. That depends on what kind of work you are doing with the device.

I just wish that the FS-4 had a constant, large, slow moveing, silent fan to keep it cool and stable. In my opinion this is the single negative quality of the FS-4 which keeps it out of the entire professional arena.