Regular old ENG with onboard SSD recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 28th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Regular old ENG with onboard SSD recording

Surely somebody is already developing this.
It seems really strange to me that filmmakers can buy an expensive camera with an on-board image processor that compresses footage to be small enough that it can stream on to various different types of still-image media, but we can also buy another processor to plug into the camera via HD/SDI and achieve a far superior result (sometimes even encoded to the same media)!

Is it unrealistic to think that this magical SDI connection could take place within the camera itself? Why not just have a nanoFlash or AJA or something like that built in, so that you don't have so many pieces dangling off of your rig?

And to take it one step further, why not just use 2.5" SATA SSD's as a recording medium, instead of spending all this money trying to force 50 Mb/s into a wafer?

I picture a JVC HM 700 with a module on the back that accepts NOT SxS cards, but plain old Solid State computer hard drives. What am I missing?

Last edited by Finn Yarbrough; March 28th, 2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: edited a typo in the title
Finn Yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Regular old ENG with onboard SSD recording

The contacts on standard SSD drives are relatively fragile for being constantly bumped and repeatedly removed. However, the SSD drive circuits could be put into another form factor and then they would work wonderfully well; that is what consumer flash drive cameras do.

So, why not on pro cams? People like to be able to remove and secure valuable footage, and on board flash drive failures would destroy too much footage. Also, the cam manufacturers do not want to do it.

Having said all that, many of the same arguments were used against removable solid state card storage when it was first introduced.

Hey, it has been less than a year since Canon allowed solid state card storage in its pro line. Pro camera manufacturers work on a slow replacement schedule, frequently three years between models. Innovation just cannot keep up with technology within such a slow pace, so lots of excuses will be invented to explain antiquated technological solutions.
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I suppose that all makes sense. Especially about the weak connections on the drive, that makes a lot of sense.

I just noticed that the Red One has the ability to take removable SSD's, presumably encased in a proprietary housing. Maybe ENG's won't be far behind. I do wonder at the bitrate and color depth that their chips possess that seems to be wasted.
Finn Yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

When it comes to pro gear , which ENG would be, I think most of us would prefer field proven equipment and well tested workflows. I think it's fair enough that these camera systems take a while to develop and replace.

I suspect that with all the 3rd party solutions now available, we're moving to a more modular approach to equipment use, with each set up being well suited to each situation.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics