DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   External Recording Various Topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/)
-   -   TriCaster workflow help needed! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/499446-tricaster-workflow-help-needed.html)

Shon Troelstrup August 10th, 2011 11:50 AM

TriCaster workflow help needed!

Hi everyone:

I've just started a new job with an events centre that hosts a variety of sports, concerts, and trade shows. As the focus of my job is primarily creating highlight packages, I need to find a way to streamline our archiving/recording capabilities. Up until now, they have been recording everything to DVD and ripping the clips from that for highlight/intro videos. It's not pretty.

I need to find a way to record each game to an editable format (Quicktime/AVI) that I can take back to my production office and start editing ASAP.

So far I've looked into the Black Magic HyperDeck (nice, but the Uncompressed Quicktime format is prohibitively expensive for SSD), and the Ki Pro, but they're not ideal for our budget and needs.

The Atomos Ninja looks like our best bet so far, but I'm hoping there's an alternative that would work with our existing setup.

Could I use something like Adobe OnLocation to capture from the TriCaster's firewire output to a laptop or PC before it's sent to the Venus (which compresses the video to 416x224 for the arena screen)?

On a different note, does anybody know if Adobe Flash Media Encoder can stream AND record at the same time? Another issue we're having is that the teams want copies following each game. We have to provide DVDs (league rule) to the visiting team, but the home teams would prefer to be able to get copies on flash drives or external HDs.

Our setup: (condensed for simplicity's sake)

Three JVC HD250 cameras shooting at 480/60i-->TriCaster Broadcast-->Venus 7000-->arena screen-->JVC SR DVM700 DVD recorder (after score/clock have been stamped on by the timekeepers at a separate location)

Thanks in advance!

Rohan Dadswell August 10th, 2011 03:34 PM

Re: TriCaster workflow help needed!

Doesn't the Tricaster have built in record and edit?
You should be able to record to an external drive if you need to edit on a different system.

Richard Alvarez August 10th, 2011 08:30 PM

SHould be able to simultaneously record to a datavideo deck. You can take the deck or drives with you.

Players & Recorders - Datavideo

Justin Molush August 10th, 2011 09:07 PM

Working with tricaster, the common practice was to use an external P2 recorder and either use the clean or dirty program feed depending on what we wanted. Then just a healthy log and transfer session and your good to go.

Shon Troelstrup August 12th, 2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohan Dadswell (Post 1674087)
Doesn't the Tricaster have built in record and edit?
You should be able to record to an external drive if you need to edit on a different system.

The TriCaster model we have CAN record our output, but ONLY if we're not using the record replay channel.

This is what we're using: NewTek TriCaster BROADCAST

I've asked this question on their forum and have been that the Ki Pro will work, then somebody else said it wouldn't work. Another suggested I read the manual. Argh.

Anybody care to hazard a guess as to whether or not I could connect a Ki Pro the Broadcaster? Here's a picture.

According to the specs, it has 1 Serial Digital Program out, 1 Component2 Program out, and 1 Composite Program out.

I've asked my local pro shop about the Ki Pro and they're going to bring one in for rentals.

Calvin Bellows August 12th, 2011 09:28 PM

I've asked this question on their forum and have been that the Ki Pro will work, then somebody else said it wouldn't work. Another suggested I read the manual. Argh.

Anybody care to hazard a guess as to whether or not I could connect a Ki Pro the Broadcaster? [

According to the specs, it has 1 Serial Digital Program out, 1 Component2 Program out, and 1 Composite Program out.

I've asked my local pro shop about the Ki Pro and they're going to bring one in for rentals.[/QUOTE]

I just finished using a Ki Pro and the Tricaster broadcast or a grad I shot. Everything worked fine. I just had to make sure that the Ki pro was recording in an SD format.

Justin Molush August 12th, 2011 09:35 PM

Ive used the broadcast before upgrading to the XD850 and I think the answer is pretty cut and dry...

If you output a signal via BNC... whether it be SDI or HD-SDI, any external recording monitor or external recording solution should be able to handle it, and record a program master. The main point of contention comes on whether or not the broadcast outputs an SD or HD signal via the outputs...

I know the XD850 we used allowed us to record a clean 720/60p master on external P2, but we never bothered recording a master with the broadcast version because it was used for much more minute events. I wouldn't hesitate on buying a Ki Pro for master recording off of the broadcast because I see no reason why it would not work.

Shon Troelstrup August 13th, 2011 12:06 AM

Thanks, guys. I'll rent one and give it a go.

What's really selling me on the Ki Pro is the ability to upconvert to 1080i "faster than real time". I know it's not TRUE HD, but that's still a pretty slick feature.