Hard drive configuration for MBP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 12th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hard drive configuration for MBP

I recently added some drives to my workflow to take all the media projects off my internal 500gb 5400rpm MBP drive. Now I have them on a 2tb raid 0 Mercury Elite Pro enclosure. The 2tb raid 0 is backed up to a 2tb mercury elite drive via carbon copy clone software. The internal 500gb drive is backed up to a 1tb mercury elite drive via time machine. I have the 1tb and 2tb mercury elite drives daisy chained to the raid 0 via fw800 and the raid 0 will be connected with esata as soon as i get my express card. I mainly edit weddings and mini documentaries. How does this set up sound? Am I losing any speed daisy chaining to the raid 0?
Eric Aumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Hard drive configuration for MBP

You're best bet is to download the Blackmagic Disc Speed App - free from the App Store. Then test your drives in daisy-chain and then direct. You'll see if there's a difference. It's likely there might be, but if your editing with compressed camera data and codecs it's unlikely you'll have a bottleneck at playback.

Also, set your edit software to warn you when you get dropped frames and run a few editing tests.

I have a Mercury Elite-AL Pro and I put 2 x 1TB drives in it, it's got eSata too, do you have that eSata?

Personally I don't use backup software, I keep lots of pairs of USB2 desktop drives and copy the capture scratch (or Events in FCPX) onto them every so often. All my rushes are on their own sets of USB2 drives too. If I was working with tight deadlines, client attended edits and big budgets then I'd have a mirrored RAID system for zero downtime, but for the work I do these days it's a waste of money for me.

Duncan.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics