Handling data backups in the field at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 10th, 2018, 06:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 54
Handling data backups in the field

Dear forum members,

I do wedding trailers from time to time and my gimbal setup is 5D4 on Zhiyun gimbal.
I really like this setup as it is small and not intruding during live events and also gives really good quality results.
However, the problem is that any Canon DSLR records video to only 1 card and I am always paranoid about the card failing and me loosing the footage.

Yes, I could use my C100 as it has dual SD recording but than I would need a bigger gimbal and I don't want to go that route...
Yes, I could keep using multiple small SD cards but that doesn't seem like a permanent solution.

Now I think I have 2 options.
1) Does anyone know of any very fast and efficient way of doing backups of whats recorded to SD/CF cards on field? Maybe they sell some kind of equipment which does backing up for you and I don't need to run it through a laptop?
2) Alternatively, as 5D4 has hdmi out, maybe there is some kind of HDMI cable recorder? Something that is not even a monitor, just pure recorder to keep the size small and me have a backup file?

Anyone in same shoes as me?
How do you guys manage backing up data in the field for these people who don't have the luxury to shoot to 2 cards stimultaniously?
Hakob Hakobyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2018, 07:00 AM   #2
Trustee
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Byron Bay, Australia
Posts: 1,153
Re: Handling data backups in the field

I'm not sure I understand how backing up in the field is a solution to the problem. If it's card failure you're worried about, it doesn't matter if you're backing up in the field or at home - the data is still damaged. It's not as though the card is going to "go bad" while it's sitting unused in the camera or your bag. Corruption either happens during recording or when reading from the card. Backing up during the day does nothing to minimise that risk (in fact, it might even make it higher due to being in a rush and/or putting improperly formatted cards back into the camera).

Maybe you could just change cards regularly throughout the day so that if one card does fail or get misplaced, you've at least still got the footage from the other cards?

Recording vai HDMI is a good option though, with the added benefit of giving you an external monitor that can be positioned more conveniently for gimbal use. The new Atomos Ninja V is ideal for this if you need 4K, otherwise one of the older Ninja models will do just fine for 1080p.

And, for those times when all else does fail - be sure to have a clause in your contract that states you are not liable for any damages in the event of equipment failure.
__________________
Camera Operator/Editor in Northern NSW, Australia
Sony FS700R || Adobe CC Suite
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2018, 08:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 54
Re: Handling data backups in the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
I'm not sure I understand how backing up in the field is a solution to the problem. If it's card failure you're worried about, it doesn't matter if you're backing up in the field or at home - the data is still damaged. It's not as though the card is going to "go bad" while it's sitting unused in the camera or your bag. Corruption either happens during recording or when reading from the card. Backing up during the day does nothing to minimise that risk (in fact, it might even make it higher due to being in a rush and/or putting improperly formatted cards back into the camera).

Maybe you could just change cards regularly throughout the day so that if one card does fail or get misplaced, you've at least still got the footage from the other cards?

Recording vai HDMI is a good option though, with the added benefit of giving you an external monitor that can be positioned more conveniently for gimbal use. The new Atomos Ninja V is ideal for this if you need 4K, otherwise one of the older Ninja models will do just fine for 1080p.

And, for those times when all else does fail - be sure to have a clause in your contract that states you are not liable for any damages in the event of equipment failure.
What you say makes sense, use multiple cards throughout the day as backing up on field will only increase chances of failures.
The alternative of using HDMI out recording to a monitor, it does seem fine but my only issue is the added weight.
The whole point is keep setup light for one-handed gimbal operation.
I already have Shotgun Inferno Monitor but its too heavy, maybe I find something lighter?
And what I meant before is I don't even need it to work as a monitor, if there is a light device that records video from HDMI out of camera and only does that and is super light that would be the ideal solution!
Hakob Hakobyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2018, 08:54 AM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 921
Re: Handling data backups in the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakob Hakobyan View Post
I already have Shotgun Inferno Monitor but its too heavy, maybe I find something lighter?
And what I meant before is I don't even need it to work as a monitor, if there is a light device that records video from HDMI out of camera and only does that and is super light that would be the ideal solution!
Yes! I do not understand why someone does not offer a recording device without a screen. The screen adds bulk and heat and uses up battery power. There are many benefits to an external recorder, but most do not need another screen.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2018, 11:54 PM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Whidbey Island
Posts: 844
Re: Handling data backups in the field

BMD Hyperdeck Shuttle records via HDMI and doesn't have a screen. I have one and don't particularly care for it, but it does work. Your choices are basically ProRes or Uncompressed (big files). You will want to come up with a way to mount it before you buy it.

For field backups/data dumping, take a look at the Nexto brand storage devices. I have a couple of these and I like that they don't require a computer.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 12:41 AM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Newark, CA
Posts: 223
Re: Handling data backups in the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig View Post
I do not understand why someone does not offer a recording device without a screen. The screen adds bulk and heat and uses up battery power. There are many benefits to an external recorder, but most do not need another screen.
I agree.

At least Atomos is now coming out with an Ninja V 5", but it still has a screen. Blackmagic will come out with a camera, planned to be available in September that records directly to a (portable) hard drive.
Cary Knoop is online now   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Adorama
(800) 223-2500
New York, NY

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Texas Media Systems
(512) 440-1400
Austin, TX

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

VideoGuys
(800) 323-2325
Mineola, NY

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:40 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2018 The Digital Video Information Network