DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   External Recording Various Topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/)
-   -   XLH1 out to DVCproHD? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/54673-xlh1-out-dvcprohd.html)

Federico Martini Crotti November 19th, 2005 04:42 PM

XLH1 out to DVCproHD?

Will it be possible to record DVCproHD out the XLH1 to something as portable as a FireStore? Or even a laptop (PowerBook in my case) with a PCMCIA card with SDI input?

If so, it would make it much easier to compare the XLH1 with the HVX200, leaving the output argument aside and thinking more about their input differences.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, just couldn't find it.

Keith Wakeham November 19th, 2005 05:18 PM

The XL H1 will only output HDV through firewire and the firestore FS-4 should be compatible if you have the upgraded firmware or something like that.

As for DVCPRO HD the firewire on the H1 will definetly not output it unless Canon has a really big secret they don't want to share. But a DVCPRO HD deck connected via HD-SDI is another solution. Not likely to be strapped onto the camera though, more of a teathered setup but who knows. Panasonic might see this as a market and decide to build a P2 Based HD-SDI deck (Don't think they have already, but I could be hughly mistaken).

I'm sure their will be some portable HD-SDI solutions that will strap onto the XL H1 sooner than later.

Chris Hurd November 20th, 2005 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Wakeham
Panasonic might see this as a market and decide to build a P2 Based HD-SDI deck (Don't think they have already, but I could be hughly mistaken).

Yes there is a P2 deck with SDI input. It is a studio VTR, not really very portable. It is the AJ-SPD850. However it does not record high definition; instead it records DVCPRO 50. However I wouldn't be surprised if there is a DVCPRO HD version of this deck already in the works.

Federico Martini Crotti November 20th, 2005 10:01 PM

So something like a FireStore with SDI-in that could record DVCproHD is out of the question?

Chris Hurd November 20th, 2005 10:08 PM

DVCPRO HD is a format owned by Panasonic. They hold the license and they choose who gets to use it. It is highly unlikely there will ever be any sort of a non-Panasonic company providing a solution for encoding DVCPRO HD. It's strictly Panasonic's territory.

Federico Martini Crotti November 20th, 2005 10:34 PM

OK. I understand. Then this makes it hard to compare the H1 and the HVX side by side, since it isn't apples to apples. The codec, in this case, seems to be a pretty heavy decision.

Any such thing as a Pcmcia card with SDI-in to record DVCproHD to a PowerBook?

Chris Hurd November 20th, 2005 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Federico Martini Crotti
Any such thing as a Pcmcia card with SDI-in to record DVCproHD to a PowerBook?

No such thing that I am aware of, sorry.

Ash Greyson November 20th, 2005 11:03 PM

I plan on doing this exactly for some in-studio shoots. XLH1 to DVCPROHD deck via HD-SDI.... the downside is that the deck is about $25k+

ash =o)

Chris Hurd November 21st, 2005 08:10 AM

Ash, the AJ-HD1200A deck is nowhere near that expensive! It's only $21,000.

:-P

Federico Martini Crotti November 21st, 2005 08:17 AM

If no portable and affordable DVCproHD recording solution appears for the H1, then many of us, even though we would spend the extra dough on it, because we are in the Canon XL tradition and like it, will have to migrate to Panasonic HVX and P2. It's a pity because we would only be deciding based on what codec we can record in rather than on what camera we like the best.

Chris Hurd November 21st, 2005 08:39 AM

If you simply must have DVCPRO HD right now, and if DVCPRO HD deck rental is not practical for you, then yes you'll need to migrate to the Panasonic HVX200 and adopt the P2 workflow.

The XL H1 is not a replacement for the XL2. The H1 is primarily targeted at small TV stations, medium size production companies that do live switching, and other applications involving crewed shoots with rented VTRs on a regular basis.

XL2 owners should carefully consider whether or not they need HD immediately, and realize that the XL H1 is only the first such camcorder from Canon... other models in varying price ranges and capabilities are sure to follow. Maybe the next one will not have SDI output, for instance, or perhaps it will be less expensive than the XL H1.

That said, you should not dismiss the HDV format until you've seen what the XL H1 can do with it.

Federico Martini Crotti November 21st, 2005 08:48 AM

But Chris, for example, for a small feature to be bumped to 35, would you still compare the H1's HDV to the HVX's DVCproHD?

Chris Hurd November 21st, 2005 09:20 AM

Successful features have been bumped to 35mm from standard definition DV... so personally I don't think the format matters nearly as much as camera ergonomics and feature set. The right camera for your feature is the one which your DP feels most comfortable using, has the desired feature set and image output quality, records a format that your editor can handle and which fits your budget.

For some people this camera will be an HVX200, for others an XL H1 and for some folks it will be something else entirely. The choice of recording format is not going to impact a small 35mm feature film that much in my opinion. So many other factors concerning low budget filmmaking are so much more important than the video format.

Federico Martini Crotti November 21st, 2005 10:03 AM

Of course, almost 10 years ago I've seen the Celebration shot with a singlechip Sony PC1 or something like that. Loved it. Aesthethic went along good story and very good acting.

Anyway, I will have to wait for these two cams to be out and compare both side by side to make a decision. But I do want the best quality, and, from what most people are saying, I'm getting the idea that DVCproHD is right in the middle of HDV and HD. If I confirm this with my own eye, it wouldn't be so cruel to betray Canon, after having owned A1, L1 and XL1 camcorders, and migrate to P2. When some people see my last film, a doc shot with a PAL XL1, they ask if it is HD or 16mm, it really looks beautiful, but I'm hungry for more visual quality, really, it isn't just silly obsesive pixel ambition. And that color space difference between both formats sounds decisive.

Chris Hurd November 21st, 2005 10:39 AM

I understand where you're coming from Federico. I think the biggest difference between the XLH1 and the HVX200 will be the changes in your production workflow when working with P2. Personally I feel that P2 is ideal for a filmmaking environment.