DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   External Recording Various Topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/)
-   -   Tapeless HDV-A Winner? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/61286-tapeless-hdv-winner.html)

Heath Vinyard February 22nd, 2006 11:21 AM

Tapeless HDV-A Winner?

It seems that both the DV Rack with HDV add on and the FS-4 HD are having problems with time code in HDV format. So my question is, has there been a clear cut winner in the DTE/DTD HDV product category.

I'd love the idea of using the firestore, but without time code in HDV, it's not looking like a winner.

DV Rack with HDV seems like a great choice as well. You get a lot of bang for the buck with this. The only problem is having to be at the camera AND the laptop at the same time.

Steve Nunez February 25th, 2006 06:49 AM

Has anyone been able to get successful "reliable" HDV DTD done period?

It seems all I'm hearing are small problems that are plaquing the direct to disk products- has anyone been using one successfully- even without timecode?

Heath Vinyard February 25th, 2006 08:40 AM

I did manage to get some test footage footage with the trial version of DV Rack with the HDV add on. It was only 2 minutes worth of shots, but it was completely tapeless. Dropped it into Vegas 6d and edited it without a problem. I did notice there was no sound, but I don't know if that was my inexperience with the new camera or something else.

Steve Nunez February 25th, 2006 05:17 PM

See what I mean- No sound! There always seems to be something not right with DTD and HDV- has anyone got anything working at all?

I'd like to pickup another Sony FX-1 and go totally tapeless- but I have yet to see anyone post a success.

Heath Vinyard February 25th, 2006 06:34 PM

It could be that the HD100 doesn't record audio unless there's a tape in the bay. I don't know. I'm still trying to figure this thing out, so it could just be me as to why audio didn't record.

Heath Vinyard February 25th, 2006 10:53 PM

Steve.
It was me and my inexperience with the camera. I was able to record HDV signals tonight WITH sound. :)

Steve Nunez February 26th, 2006 02:01 PM

Heath, great. When you have some significant time using the tapeless setup- let us know how reliable the tapeless solution is- we're all anxious to hear a successful story. Keep us updated.

(Keeping my fingers crossed)

Robin Davies-Rollinson February 26th, 2006 05:55 PM

Now all we need is for Firestore to be the first to substitute a card writer instead of the hard disc in their unit and we can all be using solid-state capture. (If they don't, then rest assured someone else will...)

Robin

Robert M Wright February 26th, 2006 10:58 PM

I briefly tried connecting my HD10U direct to desktop PC, via DV Rack trial version. I did get some footage captured, but the machine locked up several times before I did manage to capture. Has anyone managed to run it consistently without getting lockups (with any HDV camera)?

Heath Vinyard February 26th, 2006 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert M Wright
I briefly tried connecting my HD10U direct to desktop PC, via DV Rack trial version. I did get some footage captured, but the machine locked up several times before I did manage to capture. Has anyone managed to run it consistently without getting lockups (with any HDV camera)?

I've recorded two minute chunks on my latop. I did have one time where the HD monitor in the software freaked out, but a quick reboot fixed it.

Dan Euritt February 27th, 2006 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson
Now all we need is for Firestore to be the first to substitute a card writer instead of the hard disc in their unit and we can all be using solid-state capture.

i *think* that the current crop of memory drives that are in the ide-compatible package format already include the card writer in the drive... it's supposed to be a direct drop-in replacement for an ide hard drive.

they are not cheap, but if get one with enuf sustained write speed capability, it should be a plug-n-play swap for the hdd in your fs-4.

of course, the drawback is the price vs. capacity, which doesn't begin to compare to a regular hdd.

Robin Davies-Rollinson February 27th, 2006 05:17 PM

Thanks Dan, that sounds interesting.
My reasoning was that with all the fuss about the Panasonic P2 range of cameras, then with this type of add-on unit, any of our cameras could have the same solid-state capturing and file transfer protocol.

Robin

Charles Marshall February 27th, 2006 07:14 PM

good point robin

My main concern: is it worth it. Tapes are inexpensive right now. But to go tapeless on a Sony would be great. question is , would it be 1k great? or 1500 great?

Charles Marshall February 27th, 2006 07:23 PM

good point robin

My main concern: is it worth it. Tapes are inexpensive right now. But to go tapeless on a Sony would be great. question is , would it be 1k great? or 1500 great?

Steven Davis April 14th, 2006 01:53 PM

So is the conclusion that noone is doing successful DTD HD recording? So in theory, a laptop, external firewire drive camera link is not been done yet?