Tapeless HDV-A Winner? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:21 AM   #1
Major Player

Tapeless HDV-A Winner?

It seems that both the DV Rack with HDV add on and the FS-4 HD are having problems with time code in HDV format. So my question is, has there been a clear cut winner in the DTE/DTD HDV product category.

I'd love the idea of using the firestore, but without time code in HDV, it's not looking like a winner.

DV Rack with HDV seems like a great choice as well. You get a lot of bang for the buck with this. The only problem is having to be at the camera AND the laptop at the same time.
Old February 25th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #2
Trustee

Has anyone been able to get successful "reliable" HDV DTD done period?

It seems all I'm hearing are small problems that are plaquing the direct to disk products- has anyone been using one successfully- even without timecode?
Old February 25th, 2006, 08:40 AM   #3
Major Player

I did manage to get some test footage footage with the trial version of DV Rack with the HDV add on. It was only 2 minutes worth of shots, but it was completely tapeless. Dropped it into Vegas 6d and edited it without a problem. I did notice there was no sound, but I don't know if that was my inexperience with the new camera or something else.
Old February 25th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #4
Trustee

See what I mean- No sound! There always seems to be something not right with DTD and HDV- has anyone got anything working at all?

I'd like to pickup another Sony FX-1 and go totally tapeless- but I have yet to see anyone post a success.
Old February 25th, 2006, 06:34 PM   #5
Major Player

It could be that the HD100 doesn't record audio unless there's a tape in the bay. I don't know. I'm still trying to figure this thing out, so it could just be me as to why audio didn't record.
Old February 25th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #6
Major Player

Steve.
It was me and my inexperience with the camera. I was able to record HDV signals tonight WITH sound. :)
Old February 26th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #7
Trustee

Heath, great. When you have some significant time using the tapeless setup- let us know how reliable the tapeless solution is- we're all anxious to hear a successful story. Keep us updated.

(Keeping my fingers crossed)
Old February 26th, 2006, 05:55 PM   #8
Trustee

Now all we need is for Firestore to be the first to substitute a card writer instead of the hard disc in their unit and we can all be using solid-state capture. (If they don't, then rest assured someone else will...)

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I briefly tried connecting my HD10U direct to desktop PC, via DV Rack trial version. I did get some footage captured, but the machine locked up several times before I did manage to capture. Has anyone managed to run it consistently without getting lockups (with any HDV camera)?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 11:04 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright
I briefly tried connecting my HD10U direct to desktop PC, via DV Rack trial version. I did get some footage captured, but the machine locked up several times before I did manage to capture. Has anyone managed to run it consistently without getting lockups (with any HDV camera)?
I've recorded two minute chunks on my latop. I did have one time where the HD monitor in the software freaked out, but a quick reboot fixed it.
Old February 27th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson
Now all we need is for Firestore to be the first to substitute a card writer instead of the hard disc in their unit and we can all be using solid-state capture.
i *think* that the current crop of memory drives that are in the ide-compatible package format already include the card writer in the drive... it's supposed to be a direct drop-in replacement for an ide hard drive.

they are not cheap, but if get one with enuf sustained write speed capability, it should be a plug-n-play swap for the hdd in your fs-4.

of course, the drawback is the price vs. capacity, which doesn't begin to compare to a regular hdd.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #12
Trustee

Thanks Dan, that sounds interesting.
My reasoning was that with all the fuss about the Panasonic P2 range of cameras, then with this type of add-on unit, any of our cameras could have the same solid-state capturing and file transfer protocol.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 07:14 PM   #13
Regular Crew

good point robin

My main concern: is it worth it. Tapes are inexpensive right now. But to go tapeless on a Sony would be great. question is , would it be 1k great? or 1500 great?
Charles Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #14
Regular Crew

good point robin

My main concern: is it worth it. Tapes are inexpensive right now. But to go tapeless on a Sony would be great. question is , would it be 1k great? or 1500 great?
Charles Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 01:53 PM   #15
Inner Circle

So is the conclusion that noone is doing successful DTD HD recording? So in theory, a laptop, external firewire drive camera link is not been done yet?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics