Low cost analogue Low/Uncompressed SD to disk, any suggestions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 25th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Low cost analogue Low/Uncompressed SD to disk, any suggestions?

I have been wanting to make a direct to disk solution from a box video camera, or three cameras for quality recording.

I would like to record to a very small/portable PC, or other small device to disk. I am looking for something to do better than DV25 for a single camera, or as good for each channel for three cameras. I have found a few little pocket PVR's out there, but they are low data rate, which is not very good.

I am interested in pixel shifting HD, like the Film Stream Andromeda does on the Panasonic DVX 100.

Does anybody know any solutions?

Thanks

Wayne.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

the only solution is analog capture (since you can not get more from digital than what is sent into the signal), that worked very well until DV and firewire take the place.
At this time, we got P3 and slow disk, so it was a miracle to get the signal properly captured without dropped picture.
Since P4 and very fast disk are common and this is not a problem anymore.
the advantage is you can get 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 at reasonable bandwith using cheap realtime codec like huffyuv.
the only problem will be to find one of these analog capture card.
again the same solution that everybody is currently looking at for HDV, would be to capture directly from component output or Y/C , since many camera have this.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:29 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks.

Wayne.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics