Airport Extreme ( Wifi ) from firewire to replace P2 or for HDV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 16th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Airport Extreme ( Wifi ) from firewire to replace P2 or for HDV

Though it might take some of the latest MIMO stuff to handle the Panny data stream, a firewire to Airport Extreme adapter should be currently possible for HDV. Any interest here in an open source project to make this happen for HDV with a latter goal of providing an alternative to the P2 cards? It would likely take some hardware and capture software portable for Darwin, Linux and Windows.

Looking for an "open" discussion, get it, OK my humor is a bit weak....Seriously though, might be of interest to many and there are some firewire to wifi bridge specs in the works out there too, so hardware may even be coming.

Thanks, Alan
Alan Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 09:03 AM   #2
Contributor

I don't think it's technically feasible. 54Mb/s Airport Extreme just won't equal 19MB/s = 152Mb/s which is the lowest rate HDV (JVC). Even MIMO is only 108Mb/s with ideal reception. Panny goes all the way up to a 100MB/s or 800Mb/s. Perhaps inthe future as new wireless standards are set?

Maybe I'm not reading your intent correctly?
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #3
New Boot

Wireless networking simply is not up to par to handle the real time data streaming that DV and HD require, period.
Ben Balser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #4
New Boot

i think you're mixed up, the HDV standard is 25 mega BITS per second, that equals only 25/8= 3 or mega BYTES per second.

In theory, wi-fi is fast enought, but is it reliable enough! Hope no one's wireless phone rings while recording!
5 - XLH1's, FOR-A HVS500, AVID Xpress Pro HD, Premiere Pro 2.0, Vegas 6, 6 - Focus FS-2's
Sandor Bondorowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #5
Wrangler

In theory some of this works, but...

I can't be losing shots when they guy next door decides he wants to heat up his sandwich in the microwave.

Possibly a great convenience for hobbyists, but professionals would steer clear until it works perfect 100% of the time.
Old September 14th, 2006, 08:55 PM   #6
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandor Bondorowsky
i think you're mixed up, the HDV standard is 25 mega BITS per second, that equals only 25/8= 3 or mega BYTES per second.

In theory, wi-fi is fast enought, but is it reliable enough! Hope no one's wireless phone rings while recording!

Doh! you're right of course,
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics