DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   External Recording Various Topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/)
-   -   iPod as capture media... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/66073-ipod-capture-media.html)

Cole McDonald April 27th, 2006 08:53 AM

iPod as capture media...

As I predicted to some of my friends:

http://www.bella-usa.com/Catapult.htm

Dan Euritt April 27th, 2006 10:26 AM

it looks to me like you don't need an ipod, just a 2.5" drive in a usb case?

the downside to that device, and it's a big one for some of us, is that you apparently can't trigger recording via the rec button on your camcorder.

Cole McDonald April 27th, 2006 01:10 PM

The site does mention bits about that, but it's too vague to know whether that is true or not...it wouldn't be that difficult for it to work with the camera's rec button though as the cam connects via Firewire to it.

Edwin Huang April 28th, 2006 02:39 AM

Where does it say you can't hit record on the camera?

In fact... off the website

"Pre & Post Record
Pre-record and Post-record settings are two of the most exciting features of Catapult. With the Pre-record setting, users can set Catapult to begin recording for a preset amount of time prior to actually hitting the “record” button on the camera. This is feature is great for use with live action, such as sporting events allowing you to capture that winning point every time."

Dan Euritt April 28th, 2006 01:28 PM

edwin, what you quoted is simply starting the recording deck manually, ahead of time, not starting and stopping recording with the rec button on the camcorder itself.

the existance of a firewire connection does not automatically guarantee any kind of deck control for the connected devices.

the fact that it is not mentioned on the website indicates that it's not an option, which is unfortunate.

Cole McDonald April 28th, 2006 01:44 PM

isn't this the pertinent part:

"the “record” button on the camera"?

Ash Greyson April 28th, 2006 02:05 PM

Once again... no point at all in using a $400 ipod to do this. The device is NOT made to be a HDD, period endstop! The failure rate of ipods as HDDs is much higher than just normal HDDs. They are great media players, not video capture devices. I guess people are intrigued by the novelty but there is no interface...meaning, even if it WAS a robust HDD, you have to reformat your ipod with every use... Even forgetting that... you can get an external 2.5" 100GB HDD for ~ $150 less than half the price of a 60gb iPod...

ash =o)

Cole McDonald April 28th, 2006 07:58 PM

I agree Ash, but I already own an iPod ;)

Mack Fisher April 29th, 2006 11:03 PM

I personally think this item will be really popular if it works, I for one will order one the second it comes out as long as its not strictly m2t for HDV.

Dan Euritt April 30th, 2006 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole McDonald
isn't this the pertinent part:
"the “record” button on the camera"?

yes, that's the point that i'm trying to make :-)

i guess that it probably won't sink in until after people have to reach up and grope around for the record button on the deck itself... maybe then they will understand why the location of the rec button on the camera is so important.

and without visual confirmation in the camera viewfinder, how will you know that you are actually recording?

ymmv, of course, depending on whether or not you are doing long-form work or not... it would be a disaster for the multiple short clips that i shoot.

Edwin Huang May 1st, 2006 01:02 AM

Dan,

with all due respect. I don't understand you at all....

According to my reading comprehension the part of the website i quoted stated that you can set a time... say 30 seconds... where the device is constantly recording the input from the firewire from your camera ...

Now when you hit the record button ON YOUR CAMERA it will write to a file from the 30 second buffer from the device to the external hardrive you hook up from the usb2 port.

How does this suck?

Dan Euritt May 1st, 2006 12:45 PM

thanks edwin, now i see what you guys are saying... it does say that the rec button on the camcorder starts the actual recording, my bad... which makes sense, because now that i really look at it, there doesn't appear to be a rec button on the unit itself?

after getting burned with the citidisk, i'm just very skeptical that all hdd recorders will work as advertised... because they don't :-)

at any rate, you now know what to look for, lol:
1) recording control by the rec button on the camcorder
2) visual feedback in the camera viewfinder that the deck is actually recording, if possible

sorry for the confusion.

David Yuen May 2nd, 2006 09:48 PM

Extra cable connection increases points of failure

One of the weak links of the FireStore is the tenuous FireWire cable connectors, which can easily lose the cable out of either the camcorder or FS-4. The Bella unit doubles the number of failure points with both the FireWire cable between camcorder and Catapult, and the USB cable between Catapult and external drive.

While it looks like the USB cable can be much shorter, two more connections still means an increased chance of missing the shot when you're running around and you catch a cable on something.

Jesse Redman May 3rd, 2006 04:01 PM

Storage codec or format

I'm curious what codec it will use to store the file or what format. It doesn't have any information on this.

- Jesse

David Yuen May 3rd, 2006 04:22 PM

Codecs mentioned here

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/a...e.jsp?id=40232