DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   External Recording Various Topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/)
-   -   HVX-200 dump to drive w/battery. NEED! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/69231-hvx-200-dump-drive-w-battery-need.html)

Brian Rennie June 9th, 2006 12:40 PM

HVX-200 dump to drive w/battery. NEED!

I need a drive that will dump from the P2 cards to a the drive which will have to be battery powered. This is to eliminate a computer when shooting out in the wilderness. I am aware of the record to drives (firestore, cineporter). Firestore does not allow native (undercrank, overcrank) and cineporter isn't here yet.

I haven't tried it, but the HVX200 has a feature to transfer direct from the camera to an external powered hard drive (not bus powered).

Anyone know of one?

Denis Danatzko June 9th, 2006 01:14 PM

Not exactly what you seem to need, but

if you're looking to record direct to disk, there is the CitiDisk by Shining Technology that may help your situation.

I just ordered a new computer system to take advantage of a lot of the HVX features, and the vendor I've been dealing with has told me that I should have no problems recording direct to a CitiDisk with my HVX. He's offered to try to get me a demo to play with for an hour or so, but thus far, no word, so I can't speak from personal experience.

There are new models out, maybe even one specifically for the HVX (maybe the CitiDisk HDV). While CitiDisks have been around for a while, they seem to get little discussion in these forums, so there seems to be little experience with them here.

Can you call a vendor you trust for extra input?

Also, check out this link for other possibilities:
http://www.eventdv.net/Articles/Read...rticleID=10628
Sorry I couldn't offer more.

Denis

Brian Rennie June 9th, 2006 02:48 PM

Powered Hard drive

Thanks,
I am aware of the "record direct to hard drive" options, but I want to record direct to my P2 cards (2, 8GB), then dump them. I need a portable FW HDD that has a battery (like those), but it doesn't need to act as a VCR.

This would type of drive would probably be cheaper, allow other shooting options, and will not need the drive attached to the camera while shooting.

Denis Danatzko June 9th, 2006 05:16 PM

AJ-PCS060 P2 store drive

This is the only item on the market that I'm aware of that comes close to what you're looking for. (In fact, it seems to be exactly what you're looking for). Holds contents of up to 15 4Gb P2 cards. Transfer rate is approx 1 minute per Gb w/Verify Mode turned off. Connects to PC via USB 1 or 2.

I'd imagine at least a few Panasonic dealers have 1 available. Here's one place that might have one; price $ 1550.00
http://www.ggvideo.com/pan_aghvx200.htm

If you find an alternative, please post it here.
Good luck
Denis

Ash Greyson June 9th, 2006 05:27 PM

If you use your HVX as the host, there are several battery powered drives for WAY less than the P2 store. You can also use a laptop as a P2 store. Lastly, the Citidisk products are junk and not for pro use. I dont shoot tapeless but I know several guys who bought the Citidisk stuff to save money over the Firestore and every one of them regrets it...

ash =o)

Brian Rennie June 9th, 2006 05:41 PM

Cheap drives?

"...If you use your HVX as the host, there are several battery powered drives for WAY less than the P2 store."

I definitely want to use the transfer feature of the HVX, but since I will be in the wilderness, I need a battery powered firewire drive (HVX requires powered external HD not bus powered). The Pansonic P2 Store is only 60GB..too small. Don't want a computer because I am backpacking all equipment.

I need at least 200 GB drive that is battery powered enough for 12 downloads of 16GB (2, 8GB P2 cards).

I think maybe I will just make my own using some lithium polymer battery, laptop battery and generic case. I have been looking at the components and it seems fesible. I would use an battery that the RC guys use for their models. They hold a lot of power.

Ash Greyson June 10th, 2006 12:14 AM

200gb? Most battery operated enclosures are for laptop HDDs and all of those that I know of are USB not firewire. Many people are using the Magic Box OTG enclosure which is pretty easy and CHEAP... kinda of slow. Also, the P2 Store is only 60gb because that is the biggest amount of space that P2 can dump too. When you dump a P2 card over firewire it creates a new Fat32 partition and there can only be 15 partitions. I guess with 8gb cards you could create 15 partitions of 8gb, but I have only messed with the 4gb.

Me personally, after messing with it, I am just not a fan of the workflow at all...

ash =o)

Brian Rennie June 11th, 2006 06:33 PM

I wasn't aware of the FAT32 limitation of 15.
If I can copy 15 (8GB) P2s that should be about 4 hours of 720/30p video.

I am not a fan of dumping to a harddrive without confirming what is on it, but I don't have the option of carring a laptop with 70lbs of climbing gear too.

Ash Greyson June 11th, 2006 09:35 PM

BTW, it only makes a partition if you use the Firewire option... of course that is the only way to confirm the files... SCARY WORKFLOW!

ash =o)

Bill Matthews June 25th, 2006 06:12 AM

HVX-EXternal Hard Drive

Hi there

I hope this might be of help. I own a Panasonic HVX 200. I chose not to purchase the P2 cards..way to expensive and not enough stoage. However, I did purchase a "Firestore-100" which is made for this camera. I am extemely happy as this gives me 100 gigs of storage. It is easy to use and and both are compatible.

Kevin Calumpit September 16th, 2006 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Matthews
Hi there

I hope this might be of help. I own a Panasonic HVX 200. I chose not to purchase the P2 cards..way to expensive and not enough stoage. However, I did purchase a "Firestore-100" which is made for this camera. I am extemely happy as this gives me 100 gigs of storage. It is easy to use and and both are compatible.

Hey Bill
unfortunately using the firestore you cant use any over/undercrank features of the HVX.....i also use a HVX with the firestore its great but that really limits its uses.......im wondering if you could dump your p2 to the firestore might be an option looking into.

Mike Jacks December 23rd, 2006 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Calumpit
Hey Bill
unfortunately using the firestore you cant use any over/undercrank features of the HVX.....i also use a HVX with the firestore its great but that really limits its uses.......im wondering if you could dump your p2 to the firestore might be an option looking into.

If you edit FCP, there is a plug-in that when recording VFR in non-native mode, you can remove the extra frames and get what you are looking for, VFR footage.

Dennis Hingsberg January 10th, 2007 01:30 PM

Read this, may help.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=83555