Direct to Disk questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 25th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #1
Major Player

Direct to Disk questions

I just finished a two week shoot using a multi-region DVD-R burn direct from the cam. Each burn was two hours. Worked well - had a berhinger euro-mixer working the sound with a monitor out the back-end of the DVD-R for checking output.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 09:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Direct to disk with Final Cut Express

im new with direct to disk, but for a bit of background im using a canon gl2 and final cut express on a powerbook g4, and i cant seem to go direct to diisk through the final cut express capture mode, any ideas?
thanks in advance

-alex
Old July 13th, 2004, 03:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Use iMovie to capture

I just capture to iMovie and then import the project into FCE when it's time to edit.

Have the camera on and connected to your Powerbook before you launch iMovie. Switch iMovie to capture mode and click Import. You'll see the clip show up and the time:frames counting away. Just click Import again to stop it and / or start a new segment.

I'm using iMovie 4 to do this and it works great. The capture quality is that same as if you went directly into FCE.
Kirk Candlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:05 AM   #4
Regular Crew

hey, thanks very much for taking the time to post the tip, sounds like it works great, ill have to give it a try. thanks again.

- alex b.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:10 AM   #5
Major Player

Direct to Disk Software

I've used the demo of DVRack on my current desktop, great piece of kit! Alas my laptop (when I get it) will be underpowered at 1ghz for either some of the aspects, or maybe the entire program.

If this is the case, anyone know of a piece of software designed to do the HDD recording segment? I know I could use an NLE, but as DVRack proves, a proper live solution is simply better. Wouldn't need it to monitor what the camera is showing, just use the PC and probably a firewire HDD to cap the footage, preferably triggered via the rec control on the cam.

My lappy will be a 1ghz p3 with 384mb and a pretty poor looking graphics card. Compaq Armada E500.
James Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2005, 04:25 AM   #6
RED Code Chef

Trigger via the rec control on the cam is the problem. The only
program I know that does this is DV Rack. Yes you can use the
NLE's capture portion (which is a seperate application in the
case of Sony's Vegas) or use a seperate capture program like
www.scenalyzer.com

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #7
Major Player

If you were using a XP laptop I believe you could just use the OS to capture from.. In theory for example I have a Comcast DVR cable box and of course those have a 1394 out, so if I wanted to take a show to watch later on the road, I just plug my laptop into it and XP says what do you want to do, I say "RECORD" and it records the show to the hard drive..

I would think the camera would do the same..
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 12:23 PM   #8
Major Player

XP will recognize and install the drivers for your camera, then it will show up in My Computer as a device, Like an mp3 player/harddive would show up, then you can record directly to the harddrive or capture stills, i think by either right clicking on the device or using an option that shows up in the left pane. I believe it records to the 'My Videos' folder.
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 02:37 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Direct to disk for Sony HC1/A1 from component?

Has anybody figured out a solution for direct to disk recording of the Sony HC1/A1 component port?

At the moment I know of one solution component to HSDi to HSDi on computer, very expensive.

There is a thread over at the alternative imaging forum, that talks about live output from the stills memory mode on Sony DV cameras via firewire. If this has greater picture quality a firewire solution might also be good.

Thanks

Wayne.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 01:48 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi, Wayne
Check this tread "Cineform and Wafien for HD100 users":
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=52870
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 11:51 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Yep, thanks Serge, onto it.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #12
Tourist

Direct to Disk with Varicam

I will be editing a show next year that will be shot with Panasonic AJ-HDC27 Varicams and am looking to implement a workflow that will include direct-to-disk recording in tandem with tape recording to streamline the offline workflow...

So SD DV video will be dumped to edit suites directly from disk and DVCPro HD tapes will be used for the program online later.

However no disk is available to work with that camera (it only offers SDI out).

I thought I was doomed, but I have since discovered this device from Miranda:
http://www.miranda.com/product.php?i=226&l=1

So now my question is -- has anyone used one of these with a Firestore FS3 or similar recorder? And how well does it work? Will the Synchro-record options work? Is the timecode recording going to be accurate?

Are there any other options? I want to record a DV video stream, ideally in Avid OMF format. It's important that all information from the tapes be present on the disks, and no extra on the disks (otherwise online compile will become a problem).

Cheers,
Dylan Reeve
Dylan Reeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 06:05 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Direct to Disk very newb question

i do not have an idea on how to record direct to disk, my thoughts were
this from sony z1p run firewire cable to laptop -- then can i use adobe
prem 2.0 to capture? -- i was going to store the HDV footage on a 480mps
external HDD

can anyone give me a basic walk through on the capture aspect?
Ben Mclaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Ben,

When I plug my Xl2 to my laptop (plug it in then turn on my XL2 or it could fry my firewire connection on my XL2) via firewire with no application running, it recognizes that I've plugged in my XL2, it brings up the windows capture program and I can save the captured file as a wmv, avi (standard DV format) or play with the capture specs. I can save it in any directory I choose.

Once the file(s) are captured, I can edit them in any NLE I choose.

Hope this helps.
Old August 15th, 2006, 06:10 PM   #15
Regular Crew

thanks ill give it a shot
:)
Ben Mclaughlin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics