Is there a solution for me such as this? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics

Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:51 PM   #1
New Boot

Is there a solution for me such as this?

Currently my tapeless recording solution consists of plugging my camera into my laptop via firewire and capturing in Adobe Premiere. This has worked fine so far, but I'm looking for a solution where I wouldn't have to lug my laptop around. My dream solution would be some sort of small harddrive which I could put in my pocket, and then run the firewire cable out from the same pocket and into the camera. There of course needs to be some sort of way to tell the harddrive to start recording the video, and without a computer I'm doubtful my dream solution can become a reality. Could someone spread some light on this and tell me what you would recommend for someone such as me who doesn't want to carry his laptop around all the time? Besides using tape of course :)
Mick Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 05:56 PM   #2
Tourist

well if you happen to have a panasonic ag hvx2000, then youve got one made for you already. if not, then ive got the same question. there is one other solution further down in this thread, including something called a catapult, made by the bella usa corporation. i havent been able to find that anywhere though. however you do it, it wont be cheap. not expensive compared to most video equipment, but several hundred dollars is still a good chunk of money.
Jonathan Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #3
Contributor

Welcome to the forum guys,

Your not the only one with that dream. And it is not that far from being reality. There are several possible devices to choose from with varying degrees of reliability and price. As to be expected price and reliability are pretty much coupled, so you end up having to shill out more for better reliability.

Unfortunately the dream of "Tapeless" video acquisition is not yet upon us. I use the FS-4, but I have regretted using it without a tape running as a back-up, more than once.

Make a search on this forum for: FS-4, Nnovia, Pyrodrive, or Citidisk and you will have enough reading for the next few weeks to keep you out of trouble.

Have fun,

Cheers

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #4
Tourist

ive looked at all of those but the pyrodrive and im unimpressed. theres a lot of money to be made here, though, so somebodys going to make something good real soon. my guess is sony will make something good but overpriced,like they always do.
Jonathan Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 12:26 PM   #5
Inner Circle

yes sony already made it twice , and yes it is overpriced
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #6
New Boot

I'm shooting on a Panasonic HVX-200 and have been using the FS-100. I recently updated the firmware and have had minimal problems with it. I've never lost any footage off it....knock on wood :)
Joel Dennis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics