1394 FireWire Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics

Old November 4th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

1394 FireWire Question

I hope I am asking this question in the right forum, if I am not, please forgive me.

Now to the question: how long is too long to run a FireWire cable from a camera (Canon XL1) to a computer? I am trying to record video from the camera straight to the hard disk as a backup while recording to tape. I have 4.5 meter cable...but I would like to get a longer cable to run from the camera to the laptop computer out on location. Is 75 feet too long? Will the signal become weaker with the longer cable? Will I have any drop frames?

As you can tell I have worries and/or reservations about the use of a longer cable. Does anyone have any experience regarding this issue?

Cheers, Jon
Jon Pavli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 08:32 PM   #2

It really depends on the quality of the cable. A high quality cable isn't good for much more than 25 ft, however. If you want to reach out further than that, you need a firewire repeater(powered hub).

Edit: actually, the spec limit is 10 meters. Look for quality firewire cable(shielded) at www.unibrain.com

Last edited by Bill Ravens; November 5th, 2006 at 12:54 PM.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hmmm...

Thats a good question. the only answer i'd give you in tape something...then put it out through that firewire cord and see what you get...what came to my mind as soon as i read the post was, "If they made it that long, i'd hope the would make the quallity of the cord of such that it wouldnt take from the video capturing process or 'quallity' ".
Old November 5th, 2006, 02:02 AM   #4
Major Player

See: http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=63079
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the great information. YOU guys are always quick with the answers. It is awesome to be apart of this group!

I have never recorded straight to the hard drive and the reason why I am asking is that I shot near an MRI medical machine last week and the video turned out to be black...nothing on the tape. I have to redo the shoot and I want to make sure I don't have any problems this time.

Thanks again for the help!!

Cheers, Jon
Jon Pavli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics