Direct-to-Disk — Canon XH-A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 9th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #1
New Boot

Direct-to-Disk — Canon XH-A1

Hi everyone,

I'm a Mac user and I'm thinking of getting a Canon XHA1, which I'll use exclusively for studio capture... I'm also thinking of getting some kind of D2D capture workflow, for both the redundancy (TAPE capture + D2D) and for real-time monitoring/evaluation of shots...

As I understood from the multiple threads I've read, my 2 choices are:

1. Firestore FS-C
2. Adobe OnLocation

With the Firestore I would have D2D capture, but no real-time monitoring of the shooting... For this reason, I'm kind of inclined to go the Adobe OnLocation route... As I understand, besides capturing D2D, the software will allow me to monitor the shooting in real time. Is that right? Even when shooting HDV?

I'll be using a MacBook Pro (plus BootCamp, since OnLocation is Windows only). Should I expect any problem from this setup? Do you guys have any advice or opinions in favor or against OnLocation???

Assuming everything is fine with OnLocation, will the screen of my MacBook Pro 15" be large enough for previewing the HDV video or should I get a larger external LCD???

If anyone can share some insights, I'll be very very grateful... I'm a total newbie and although I've already read a lot of threads, there are several concepts that remain unclear...

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by Tiago Melo; July 10th, 2007 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Misspellings
Tiago Melo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The big problem with capturing to a laptop is it is clumsy. One of the hard disc recorders, such as the Firestore, is much more portable. It can be mounted to the camera or attached to a belt.

Buddy
Buddy Frazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Buddy,

As I said, I'll use the XHA1 exclusively for studio capture... No field work, at least for now... So, besides the clumsiness, is there any other problem I should be aware of?

Edit:
Besides direct-to-disk recording, my interest in Adobe OnLocation is the real-time monitoring of the shooting... So, can it be trusted??? I've read something about latency issues (from .5 to 2 seconds depending on the thread).

Last edited by Tiago Melo; July 10th, 2007 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Update
Tiago Melo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I've never seen 2 second latency, but about a half-second seems to be typical for HDV. (DVRack 2.0 HD)

What this means:
The monitor is fine for lighting, focus check, framing, etc.

You must use your camera lcd or viewfinder to follow action by zooming, tilting, panning, or quick focus changes. But I'd be doing that anyway.

A very valuable monitor, even with latency.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago Melo View Post
As I understood from the multiple threads I've read, my 2 choices are:

1. Firestore FS-C
2. Adobe OnLocation
Choice 3 could also be the Canon Console software for the XH-A1.. I have tested it out and it is pretty smooth... Although, if you are getting the Adobe Production Suite, you might as well use OnLocation...

Just a thought...

EDIT: I just noticed you said MacBook Pro... I dont believe Canon Console has a Mac version.. Sorry.
Old August 7th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #6
Major Player

You can record straight into Final Cut -- I do it with a 1.67 powerbook and it works great, even with a fairly long (10') firewire cable. I roll tape as a backup, but have never needed it.

Be aware that there's a 20 second lag between starting the record in Final Cut and when it actually starts recording, though.
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics