Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Closed Thread

Old May 3rd, 2011, 08:36 AM   #256
Inner Circle

Re: Thoughts on new FCP X Sneak Peek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Neubert View Post
shipping in June... would be nice to know a date, I would like to be able to plan for a couple of days to test drive it before using it in a real project.
I think Apple wants a bit of wiggle room since it's still in beta although the beta they showed was actually from February.

I have a hunch that WWDC in early June might bring us a clearer picture since I think Apple will have some focus on Lion an specifically AV foundation which is what FCPX is built on.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 11:26 AM   #257
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
Unfortunately, Apple doesn't offer demos on their software.
The other option is to get a little hands-on time at an Apple Store. One advantage is that it's likely someone will be there to answer questions, too.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 02:20 PM   #258
Regular Crew

I can dedicate one edit station to testing, but would have loved to be able to plan it. I am very eager to get my hands on this new version, I have been waiting for a while, my local dealer has made me very attractive offers to switch to Media Composer 5, but I have been using FCP since version 1.5 it would kind of feel like breaking up...

But it is probably best to wait until version X.1 or so to upgrade. With this many new features, I expect a few bugs. It just happened with Telestream Episode which I had been using for years and faithfully upgraded to Version 6 only to find out that there were no audio-only conversion settings, after assuming I am stupid and contacting support they basically told me "oops, you are right - ehhm - our engineers forgot - sorry about that - let us send you the settings..." which they promptly did. (I apologize for getting off topic - but it still baffles me) I have gone back to Episode 5 for a bunch of other reasons.

Anyway I always test upgrades for a few days, run some projects on them that are small enough that I could rebuild on my tested and running system. Guess I will just wait, waited long enough already, a couple of months more won't make such a big difference anymore. I will keep following the forums and see how it works for everyone.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 03:14 PM   #259
MPS Digital Studios

I didn't want to jump in on FCP 1.0 until a big update came down and they fixed any potential bugs, but I had so many problems with Premiere 5.1 and DV, that I switched anyway to FCP 1.0. I had no major problems cutting on it, but I can't remember whether I did or not. I may have had to cut my feature on two different timelines... It's been a while. I do know I "lost" all my internal hard drives on the desktop when I upgraded to OS 8.6, but a friend helped me locate them again.

heath
Old May 4th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #260
New Boot

After fumbling through Final Cut's numerous bugs, audio glitches and generally slow, clunky interface, I've been wondering why the hell they haven't been innovative with such a widely used software.

Well now that innovation is here! So. Excited! I'm mostly excited about the speed, time-saving automation and what is hopefully a lightning responsive interface on capable hardware.

I hope this truly helps bridge the gap for the average person who knows little about video editing, with a $300 price point. May they painlessly see their ideas produced well and uploaded to youtube. Professional editors should not be threatened, as our value and skill lies not in using software, but rather the decisions made before using that software and which buttons to push inside of it.

If anything, Final Cut X may help clear out some demand for event coverage, weddings, basic web videos, etc.
Old May 4th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #261
MPS Digital Studios

I'll echo that... an editor's talents lie not in his or her NLE of choice, but in their talents.

heath
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #262
MPS Digital Studios

Here's an interesting thing to note... Apple has hired the inventor of the THX sound system:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-...ml#post1645812

As I said in that link, I'm curious if he'll be doing something cool with Logic Studio and Soundtrack Pro, in addition to hardware (better audio from a Mac)?

heath
Old June 8th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #263
MPS Digital Studios

AppleInsider | Images claim to show Apple's Motion 5, Final Cut Pro X

Alleged new images from Motion 5 and FCP X; plus, the latest rumors point to Color as being part of either Motion 5 or FCP X. I'd love to see everything be all-in-one, but I think we'll at least see two apps, FCP X and Motion 5, with maybe Motion getting Color and FCP getting Soundtrack and a better Share function combining DVD Studio Pro.

heath
Old June 8th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #264
Major Player

Should be out next week, two weeks tops. When Apple leaks these "rumor" things, they're usually pretty close to the release date.
Old June 8th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #265
MPS Digital Studios

I wouldn't put it past Apple to release it on June 30, but I'd love to see something next week! If this were Twitter, I'd hashtag: #excited.

heath
Old June 9th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #266
Wrangler

I've got a newly formatted MacBook Pro and a bottle of champagne for when that day comes.
Old June 9th, 2011, 06:16 AM   #267
Regular Crew

On the apple website it says that Lion will come out in July. Why would they release a major upgrade to FCS just a few weeks before? would it not make sense to first upgrade the OS and then the application?
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #268
MPS Digital Studios

I do see your point, Oliver, though I haven't had issues with upgrading my OS after installing a new version of FCP, though I always back up my files before doing any sort of major OS X upgrade. Many, many years ago (early 2000), I upgraded OS 8.5 to 8.6, and one of my Power Mac G3's internal hard drives, installed for editing, disappeared off the desktop. I got it back, but wow, that was nerve-wracking.

Backup before you upgrade.

Heath
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #269
MPS Digital Studios

ps-Final Cut Studio (v. 3) shipped July 30, 2009, while Snow Leopard shipped August 28, 2009, according to Amazon. However, both FCP 7 and S.L. were more incremental updates, though SL did have some nice under-the-hood improvements.

heath
Old June 12th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #270
Major Player

Lion is a download only release so you will have to install Snow Leopard first anyway. With this in mind, a clean system install is going to be a long process. I guess I will just update my Snow Leopard installation (I receive my new 27" iMac i7 next week) and just update to Lion straight away.

I still hope you can make a bootable Lion DVD so you can skip the Snow Leopard install in the future.

New MacBook Air is rumored to launch wednesday, so maybe Final Cut Pro X will launch along with it. There are also rumors the Mac Pro is about to receive an update... so it wouldn't surprise me if they release Final Cut Pro X with that product (if it launches in June).

Let's wait and see... we've waited so long already, these few days don't matter.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X