DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Closed Thread

Old June 12th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #271
MPS Digital Studios

Re: Thoughts on new FCP X Sneak Peek

I'm guessing you need Snow Leopard to install Lion because Lion won't be a large file and will be missing certain things, making it easy to install. Just the same as I bet you'll need Final Cut Studio 3 to install FCP X, because of loops, etc.

Heath
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #272
Inner Circle

Lion is a full 4GB download much the same size as the Snow Leopard. You can apparently create a bootable disk from the download. FCP X is a brand new application there won't be any requirement to already have FCS 3 else what would all the new purchasers who have never had Final Cut before do.
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #273
Regular Crew

I would have to assume that FCP X will come complete, with no prior FCP Studio 3 installation required or piggybacked.

However, the new software may not come with many loops... so owners of FCP Studio (1,2,3)... will likely have a distinct advantage in available loops.

With the new App store format I can easily see Apple offering ala carte loop packs, similar to Digital Juice.
Old June 12th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #274
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Lion is a full 4GB download much the same size as the Snow Leopard. You can apparently create a bootable disk from the download. FCP X is a brand new application there won't be any requirement to already have FCS 3 else what would all the new purchasers who have never had Final Cut before do.
Nigel, thanks for the clarification.

James, I remember hearing that you could still install LiveType on your Mac even though Apple dropped it from FCS 3, pushing users to Motion.

heath
Old June 12th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #275
Major Player

More details sneaking out, mostly on color grading. Looks like Color as an app is toast

More Final Cut Pro X Screenshots Leak Ahead of Release - Mac Rumors
Old June 12th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #276
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post

James, I remember hearing that you could still install LiveType on your Mac even though Apple dropped it from FCS 3, pushing users to Motion.

heath
Of course you could. And it's very possible that Final Cut Studio users may still find some functionality in the studio applications even with Final Cut Pro X installed. To exactly what degree, we'll have to wait and see.
Old June 13th, 2011, 11:00 PM   #277
Major Player

More screenshots have been added:
http://twitpic.com/photos/MortGoldman2
No XML import (judging from the screenshots)
Old June 13th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #278
Inner Circle

Intriguingly the window in the disk burning screenshot is titled "Create a Blu-ray disc from your project." & the drop down menu is selecting from "MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-875 (AVCHD)" OR "Hard drive (Blu-ray)". Presumably without a Blu-ray drive in your Mac it creates an image of a Blu-ray disc.
Old June 14th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #279
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Intriguingly the window in the disk burning screenshot is titled "Create a Blu-ray disc from your project." & the drop down menu is selecting from "MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-875 (AVCHD)" OR "Hard drive (Blu-ray)". Presumably without a Blu-ray drive in your Mac it creates an image of a Blu-ray disc.
And it looks to be the same incredibly simple menu system that the current version creates. At this point, if they got rid of the ugly black bar at the bottom of the menu screen, I'd be satisfied with this.

Not seeing any "capture" options under import from camera either.
Old June 14th, 2011, 07:52 AM   #280
Regular Crew

About the when... forgot to mention that AVID is offering Mediacomposer to FCP users for 995 $... until June 17th. Maybe they know that a crossgrade won't be very attractive after FCP comes out on the 18th?
To be honest... I am tempted. There are some freelancers whose work I like who work with AVID and not FCP.

oh - the link: http://www.avid.com/US/specialoffers/fcppromotion
Old June 14th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #281
MPS Digital Studios

Avid is still such a tough NLE nut to crack, in my opinion, in terms of mastering it. I know guys that float between Avid and FCP, and I have the utmost respect for them.

Heath
Old June 14th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #282
Major Player

I bet all these leaks are coming from training facilities. With a substantial release like this, I'm sure Apple wants training material to be available on day #1.

One thing I really notice is how empty the menus are. Doesn't say anything yet, but does make it look 'dumbed down'.
Old June 14th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #283
MPS Digital Studios

Rumor: FCP X to debut next week on the Mac App Store?

Final Cut Pro X available on the Mac App Store next week? | 9 to 5 Mac

heath
Old June 14th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #284
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck View Post
I bet all these leaks are coming from training facilities. With a substantial release like this, I'm sure Apple wants training material to be available on day #1.
One of the posters on one of the rumor sites (AppleInsider, I think) claimed that the complete FCP X manual has been available online "for weeks". I find this difficult to believe, as we would be seeing a lot more info than what's floating around now.

Next week sounds about right. The WWDC announcements will be off the front page of most tech sites by then.
Old June 14th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #285
MPS Digital Studios

Off topic, slightly: It's amazing how massive shows like WWDC, NAB, etc., can be old news within a week or so.

I still wouldn't be surprised if FCP X debuts on June 30. It's still June, and I think Apple's done something like that in the past.

Heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X