Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Closed Thread

Old April 13th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: Final Cut X Announced At NAB

I can't wait for this to be available.

I haven't bought FCS 3 yet, and I would love to buy this but still want the rest of the suite.

I am dieing to know system requirements!
Old April 13th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Grrrrrr. Does anyone know if there's going to be any love for people who just recently bought the last version of the FCS? They don't do upgrades, right? I just switched to apple 3 months ago buying the computer and FCS together.
Old April 13th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Newcomb View Post
Many "pros" are wailing that Apple has just announced they're not interested in the pro market, anymore.
Any "pros" who are "wailing" at this point aren't pros at all because Apple hasn't released enough details for anyone to know. I've seen just as many "pros" saying this looks like a very promising upgrade.

As for folks on FCS 7, why not just stick with it for a while if you've made a major investment? I could be happy with FCS 7 for quite some time, though for 300 I'm sure I'll upgrade once it's been out for while and we can all see whether it's worth it.

Until we have solid details, we just have to wait.
Old April 13th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #34
MPS Digital Studios

Re: Apple insider reports new FCP at NAB

I hate to say this, but I don't think there will be an upgrade price. Most of my favorite smaller, almost niche Mac apps have gone to the Mac App Store, and you can't get free upgrades/updates with many of them. They'll give you a code, but you still end up paying something like $5 to buy and download a new version, THEN you get the free updates via the Mac App Store.

It's very frustrating.

Heath
Old April 13th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Thanks again John. I've now watched that too. Looks like FCX will be even more user friendly (in parts) than Vegas Pro (which I also use). So much goodness in what's coming. Great stuff!
Old April 13th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #36
Trustee

Well guys, I've never used a Mac or even worked with FCP, but this has got me seriously re-assessing...
That Magnetic Timeline feature - incredible!
Old April 13th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #37
Regular Crew

"299 to upgrade is OK. "
I thougth 299 was the price period, not upgrade.
Old April 13th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #38
MPS Digital Studios

Robin,

What are you using right now? I've been on FCP for many years, and I've seen a lot of my friends and colleagues, and many users on this board, switch from a Windows-based NLE to Final Cut Pro because of its stability, ease-of-use, features and price-point. It can be argued the first version helped usher in the age of affordable post production, which hurt the big post houses.

I hope you can check out the new Final Cut Pro and join the growing number of users. There is a wealth of information here and pretty much everywhere, to help get you started and help give you great instruction.

Heath
Old April 13th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Kris, Yep, sorry, my mistake! I'll go back and correct that now.
Old April 13th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #40
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Zimbelman View Post
"299 to upgrade is OK. "
I thougth 299 was the price period, not upgrade.
That's the price, period, as far as we know so far. I don't think there will be an upgrade price, but if they offer Motion, Soundtrack Pro, etc., a la carte, I hope they give some sort of a discount to existing users.

heath
Old April 13th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #41
Regular Crew

I notice many people complaining that this will be available on the app store. Downloadable. To me, thats a big time plus.

Thats the future people. One day no programs will come in a box. Just cause that means its easier to purchase doesn't mean its not for the professional. Gimme a break.
Old April 13th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #42
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Newcomb View Post
Apple Announces Final Cut Pro X

Sigh. Three years ago I switched to a Mac so I could use both Final Cut Studio and Sony Vegas Pro on the same machine. Final Cut was $1,200.00, then. Two months later Final Cut Studio 3 came out... $300.00 for the upgrade, but the price of the program came down to $1,000.00. So I had $1,500.00 invested in software that was now worth $1,000.00. I whined to Apple and they gave me a free Mighty Mouse. Now, to get the new FCX, I'll have to cough up another $300.00, giving me a total of $1,800.00 invested in software that's worth $300.00.

I'm not feeling very appreciated, Apple.
So when you change your car you add up how much all the previous cars cost and say I paid $X for my car and this one is only worth $Y now? A bit silly don't you think?

Suppose the car salesman said "actually, we don't want your old car in part-exchange, but your new car will be only one third of the cost of the last one". Would you be happy or mad? Think about it.

The fact is you bought the software at the going rate at the time, with the features it provided at the time. You've used it, hopefully to earn money from, so it's likely paid for itself already anyway. Why complain that the upgrade to something better costs less than you thought it would? Think about it.

Don't expect Apple to offer you a further discount on $299, it's an awesome deal.
Old April 13th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #43
Regular Crew

I'm reading that Soundtrack and Color are included in FCP X:
Apple announces Final Cut Pro X | Apple Talk - CNET News

We'll see how accurate that is.

My guess is that Apple also has to include some component to export the editing you've done, so I'd assume that the "Compressor" component portion would have to be included somehow. You can't just be left with a FCP project and no final rendered video. Then, it'll be interesting to see how Apple addresses the DVD and Blu-Ray issues; particularly due to their stated opposition to supporting Blu-Ray. I'm not as worried about the DVD/Blu-Ray issue, as most of my rendered videos are for computers/web use, but this will certainly be a big question. The biggest question in my mind is what they will do with Motion.
Old April 13th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #44
"I saw 'em" -- Hiwayne Suggs

The professional issue is about the depth of control in an edit. There are many techniques that need 'key frames' and manual manipulation of layers. The current version of FCP does that very well. It may be that 'X' achieves the same result using a different approach. We don't know yet.
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #45
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lawrence View Post
Any "pros" who are "wailing" at this point aren't pros at all because Apple hasn't released enough details for anyone to know. I've seen just as many "pros" saying this looks like a very promising upgrade.

As for folks on FCS 7, why not just stick with it for a while if you've made a major investment? I could be happy with FCS 7 for quite some time, though for 300 I'm sure I'll upgrade once it's been out for while and we can all see whether it's worth it.

Until we have solid details, we just have to wait.

Here's a lengthy discussion on the new release:

Final Cut Pro X Pro Users Only?? : Apple Final Cut Pro
I think this is the issue -- Apple did not release enough information during the "demo". By not giving details on things like Motion, Color, etc they have left a lot of power-user thinking "Hmmm...Looks like iMovie, does a bunch of auto stufff, what's in it for me?"

I think they would have been better to end the presentation with at-least a road map of where the other functionallity and apps are going. Even if everything will be what everone expectgs, right now you have a buncdh of people asking questions and feeling like they are in limbo. Suddenly the Avid deal or CS5.5 starting looking more attractive.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X