That's it for me - Project work disappeared... - Page 4 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 1st, 2011, 10:16 PM   #46
Trustee
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,554
Re: That's it for me - Project work disappeared...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
well put

As for Premiere, I've used it only on the PC and have had similar experience in regards to it crashing. FCP is rock solid in this regard. It could very well be Windows or applications that run in the background such as anti-virus. Mac OS underneath is cleaner and better written with a lot less hardware variables to deal with.
You really must try Premiere CS5 or newer to see how rock-solid it is. In addition, using Premiere on a Mac Pro from the last few years will amaze you at how much faster your workflow can be when compared to any version of FCP. You just can't beat the simplicity of creating a simple 1080 sequence, importing ANY video format/size and BEGIN editing. Throw on some effects and hit play...rarely is rendering required. Create some motion graphics in AE and easily import without having to render first. Change those AE comps and instantly see the updated version in Premiere.

I think someone else mentioned this, but FCPX cannot import PSD files as layers anymore. With Premiere (and AE), you can alter something in Photoshop and have Premiere show the updated version.

And the rendering speed of CS5 with hardware acceleration is amazing. I tested a 2min AVCHD sequence with 3 layers and 6 effects on each layer. In CS4, it took 51mins to render and only 9mins in CS5 on a stock speed i7 at 2.66GHz & 12GB of ram.

Also, with Premiere and AE, the more ram you have, the faster they render. For example, a 6-core CPU with 24GB of ram is roughly 80% faster than with only 12GB of ram for MPEG2 exporting and about 25% faster for H264 exporting.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 10:19 PM   #47
MPS Digital Studios
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Posts: 8,531
Re: That's it for me - Project work disappeared...

I think Premiere Pro is a great app, and some people may switch to it or Avid, but I've always been a FCP kind of guy. I was talking to my friend and former colleague Douglas Spotted Eagle about FCP X and a new paradigm in editing. We discussed something similar in 2005, as Vegas Pro starting to build a loyal following by introducing a new -- and faster -- way to edit.

I'm looking to the future and hope FCP X can meet my needs.

heath
__________________
My Final Cut Pro X blog
Heath McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 11:08 PM   #48
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Whidbey Is, WA
Posts: 326
Re: That's it for me - Project work disappeared...

3 Weeks ago, I never would have thought that I'd download a free trial of Premier, 10 days after the release of FCP X. For the last 2 years I have been one of those people that have said, Apple wouldn't do that, give them some time & they will come out with a great new FCP and put some of the $ back into the pros that built their company. But no more.

I see FCP X going to an iPad version, where you can edit and then just hit, send to facebook.

Adobe had a faster way to edit, what a year and a half ago.
You can bring in FCP projects into premier.
Premier even has keyboard shortcuts for FCP7.
I downloaded it last night & felt very comfortable & was editing fairly well in about an hour.
It's very fast.
I could use a PS upgrade & I've always wanted AE and Illustrator anyway.
I believe it will take over FCP's place as the most common pro editing suite, so I want to be familiar wit it.
$799 for the entire suite for me (own PS) till Monday, I believe I'll do that.

For 12 years I've been using photoshop, and throughout that time period, Adobe has always worked to improve it for professionals. I've never felt like they would cripple their product to make more money, where I feel that that has been a major component of Apples marketing strategy.

I'm not bashing Apple really, more just acknowledging Adobes commitment to pros.

For the people that like it, good for them, I wish I had some of it's features, but I don't think you'll be seeing ads on craigslist saying, "looking for a FCP X editor".
__________________
www.breathedeepproductions.com
Chris Korrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 11:32 PM   #49
Trustee
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,554
Re: That's it for me - Project work disappeared...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Korrow View Post
3 Weeks ago, I never would have thought that I'd download a free trial of Premier, 10 days after the release of FCP X. For the last 2 years I have been one of those people that have said, Apple wouldn't do that, give them some time & they will come out with a great new FCP and put some of the $ back into the pros that built their company. But no more.

I see FCP X going to an iPad version, where you can edit and then just hit, send to facebook.

Adobe had a faster way to edit, what a year and a half ago.
You can bring in FCP projects into premier.
Premier even has keyboard shortcuts for FCP7.
I downloaded it last night & felt very comfortable & was editing fairly well in about an hour.
It's very fast.
I could use a PS upgrade & I've always wanted AE and Illustrator anyway.
I believe it will take over FCP's place as the most common pro editing suite, so I want to be familiar wit it.
$799 for the entire suite for me (own PS) till Monday, I believe I'll do that.

For 12 years I've been using photoshop, and throughout that time period, Adobe has always worked to improve it for professionals. I've never felt like they would cripple their product to make more money, where I feel that that has been a major component of Apples marketing strategy.

I'm not bashing Apple really, more just acknowledging Adobes commitment to pros.

For the people that like it, good for them, I wish I had some of it's features, but I don't think you'll be seeing ads on craigslist saying, "looking for a FCP X editor".
Hi Chris,

Good to hear that you like what Premiere has to offer.

I think your last comment sums up everything PERFECTLY!

If you have questions how to perform certain tasks, would you like a dedicated thread for people like you who have switched to Adobe from FCP where you can ask fellow Premiere users? I emailed Chris to see if creating a sticky thread would be possible. I was helping someone else the other day and ended up learning a few things myself about Premiere; so, I see this as a good thing for everyone.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:04 AM   #50
MPS Digital Studios
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Posts: 8,531
Re: That's it for me - Project work disappeared...

Steve,

Do you work for Adobe? I'm just curious.

Heath
__________________
My Final Cut Pro X blog
Heath McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:57 AM   #51
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Whidbey Is, WA
Posts: 326
Re: That's it for me - Project work disappeared...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post

If you have questions how to perform certain tasks, would you like a dedicated thread for people like you who have switched to Adobe from FCP where you can ask fellow Premiere users? I emailed Chris to see if creating a sticky thread would be possible. I was helping someone else the other day and ended up learning a few things myself about Premiere; so, I see this as a good thing for everyone.
Yes I think that would be helpful. Plus I think that reactions like that will send a strong statement to Apple.
__________________
www.breathedeepproductions.com
Chris Korrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:58 AM   #52
Trustee
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,554
Re: That's it for me - Project work disappeared...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
Steve,

Do you work for Adobe? I'm just curious.

Heath
That's a negative....I just want to help anyone making the transition. I can't imagine how difficult this whole ordeal might be for many who have invested years into FCP. To be honest, I was hoping that the new FCP would knock the socks off Adobe because I wanted to learn FCP in order to become more marketable. In addition, competition forces the triple 'A' to fight each other by making better software, which benefits us, the consumer. Furthermore, I hope Premiere becomes the 'standard' like FCP has been; so, my knowledge of Premiere becomes a more valuable asset.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:08 AM   #53
MPS Digital Studios
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Posts: 8,531
Re: That's it for me - Project work disappeared...

Gotcha. I can appreciate the enthusiasm. It's a shame that we're hired based on our skill set with a particular NLE, instead of our skills telling a story through editing. I've cut on every major NLE available right now (well, except FCP X), and I still love FCP 7 the best. It's hard to change, no matter what one does.

Premiere Pro is nice, Avid is still tricky, Vegas and FCP X are going in a new direction/paradigm of editing, and Edius seems to combine bits and pieces of everything together.

But before I sing the praises of FCP X (or publicly denounce it), I'm gonna wait and try it out with a project. In the past, when I'd review a camera for DVi or another site, I'd usually do a short film or video project with an old friend/DP/colleague of mine, then say, "Ok, this is real-world." So I don't want to just fire up FCP X and look at it -- I want to cut a small project for a client.

Heath
__________________
My Final Cut Pro X blog
Heath McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 06:22 AM   #54
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 51
Re: That's it for me - Project work disappeared...

Sorry if I didn't make it clear before. I'm not basing my judgement of PPro stability and speed on a Mac solely on the one test I did using parallels. I've been using this program on Windows machines since it was "Adobe Premiere 5.0". My assessment, the latest PPro on a Mac: solid and smooth! It does what I need it to do. Will be sure to let y'all know how FCP X works out.
Anthony Trotter is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:38 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network