Apple offering refunds for FCP X upon request at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

View Poll Results: I will...
request a refund because I am disappointed with FCP X and will stick with FCS3 or another NLE 7 13.21%
request a refund because I am disappointed with v1 but may consider buying the next version 3 5.66%
keep FCP X because I may use it in the future and will learn it while continuing to work with FCP7 13 24.53%
keep FCP X because I have use for it now 10 18.87%
hope Apple releases a demo or trial version next time so we can try before we buy 3 5.66%
rejoice that I waited for the reviews before I bought FCP X 19 35.85%
buy it and try it for myself now that I know there is a possibility of refund 4 7.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 28th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #1
Wrangler

Apple offering refunds for FCP X upon request

Some customers have reported that they have received refunds from customer service. Source: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3134462

I also added a poll to get a sense of what DV Info members plan to do. I'm curious now that a week has passed and the dust has settled.
Old June 28th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Apple offering refunds for FCP X upon request

My wife got a refund for it. Was pretty easy actually. She is going to stick with FCP7 and PP CS5.5 as these tools meet her needs.
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #3
Major Player

You need an option for "I'm considering it based on further testing". The DVD chapter marker thing is a bit of a deal breaker for me, as I still need the functionality and not a compressor kludge solution. Any idea what the window for refunds is. Obviously this won't be open-ended.
Jason Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #4
Major Player

I purchased, requested a refund, and it posted to my bank account 3 days later.

Deal breakers for me include:
- No ability to save/revert projects
- Undo doesn't always work
- No chapter markers
- No advanced DVD authoring
- No FCP7 import (or import from anything else for that matter... except iMovie)
- Will not open or store events located on network drives
- No bins, only keyword based organization

Sorry Apple, FCP7 and CS5.5 for me
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lowe View Post
You need an option for "I'm considering it based on further testing".
That would fall under option 3 if you aren't going to request a refund. I assume you already bought it since there is no trial version, but if you haven't then yet then you would fall under category 7.
Old June 29th, 2011, 02:20 AM   #6
Inner Circle

It should be routine for Apple to offer refunds for software bought through the App Store. They already have a generous 14-day no quibble refund policy for hardware.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 06:46 AM   #7
Major Player

Well, I went ahead and filled out the support form for a refund. I tried to like it, I really did, but it kept throwing up roadblocks. I tried the "share" function to burn a quick DVD to see how a color corrected clip looked. It came up with the familiar share menu, asked which optical drive to use, black or white menu, etc. Clicked "burn" and about a half hour later (8 minute clip) the "processing" status bar disappeared. Poof. No burning, no ejected drive tray asking for a blank. Nothing. Poked around and found a m2v and ac3 file dumped in the project (event? I don't even care anymore) folder. Didn't bother to try them in DVD SP. I'm sure iDVD would choke on them.

If you need additional software to do this, the option should be grayed-out. I'm not going to wait to see what other time bombs are lurking here. The "not yet" FAQ Apple just posted didn't address DVD issues at all, so it's unlikely they care too much about this.
Jason Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I requested a refund from Apple yesterday and am happy to say that today they contacted me to say it was granted. Here is the email. They've made themselves look a lot better after this.

'Hello Jeffrey,

Thanks for contacting iTunes support to let me know you need some help. I understand that you purchased the new Final Cut Pro X, and within 30 minutes after downloading it you could tell that it was missing numerous basic functions that had been included in the previous version. You felt misled by Apple and would like a refund. I can imagine you must be concerned, but there's no need to worry. My name is Felicia and I would be happy to assist you today.

Jeffrey, I'm sorry to learn that this app did not meet the standard of quality you have come to expect from the iTunes Store.

I have reversed the charge for "Final Cut Pro X". In five to seven business days, a credit of $317.99 should be posted to the credit card that appears on the receipt for that purchase.

I have also submitted this item for investigation. Apple takes the quality of the items offered on the iTunes Store seriously and will investigate the issue with this item, but I can't say when or if the issue will be resolved. Please try again in a few weeks.

Thank you for your understanding, Jeffrey. I hope that you continue to enjoy using the iTunes Store. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Felicia
iTunes Store Customer Support

Please Note: I work

Sunday 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM EST
Monday 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM EST
Tuesday 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM EST
Wednesday 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM EST
Thursday 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM EST
Friday Out of the office
Saturday Out of the office

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you. You may receive an AppleCare survey email; any feedback you provide would be greatly appreciated.'
Old July 1st, 2011, 10:18 PM   #9
Trustee

Ok I tired. I honestly tried to learn to like this program but I just couldn't take it anymore. There are certain things I really liked but just too much I can't get used to. I asked for a refund since I doubt I would ever use it in it's current form. Every major software change is a gamble and it looks like Apple filling had a bad roll of the dice. I think that eventually FCPX will be a solid program but just not today and I need something today.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X