DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   New version of FCPX available (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/500902-new-version-fcpx-available.html)

Nick Gordon September 20th, 2011 11:25 AM

New version of FCPX available

I've just seen this - may be old news to some of you, but ...

Apple releases major update to Final Cut Pro X, release demo version

Available at the Mac App Store now

Heath McKnight September 20th, 2011 11:59 AM

Re: New version of FCPX available

Apple called me to go over the updates, and they also went on the record that multicam and broadcast monitoring support will be available next year (2012). They also told me they are listening to us, and they care about the professional video editor.

Here are details from the call:

Apple Calls With Details On Final Cut Pro X 10.0.1 Update: XML, XSAN, Video and Audio Stem Exports Via Roles, and More | heath mcknight dot com

Heath

Andy Wilkinson September 20th, 2011 12:11 PM

To little to late. I installed Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium on my Mac Pro today.

Heath McKnight September 20th, 2011 12:12 PM

The 30-day trial is a great way to try it out and see if it's for you.

Heath

Simon Wood September 20th, 2011 12:19 PM

Just to confirm; is this an update for existing FCPX owners (can it be updated from the program, or is this a demo of a new version)?

Heath McKnight September 20th, 2011 12:20 PM

Hey Simon,

You can download the FCP X 10.0.1, Motion 5.0.1 and Compressor 4.0.1 updates from the Mac App Store's update tab, if you bought the first versions. The demo is the latest version, in case someone would like to try it before they buy it.

Heath

Les Wilson September 20th, 2011 03:41 PM

I don't want to risk installing the trial on my FCP 7 system. I read somewhere here on dvinfo that FCP-X doesn't have support for keyframes in the color corrector filter. I don't see it in your blog post. Did they add that support?

Heath McKnight September 20th, 2011 03:43 PM

I'll ask them as a follow-up. Here's some advice on installing FCP X on your system with FCP 7:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4722

I have both running on my Mac mini with 8GB of RAM, without partitioning the drive. You have to launch Motion 4 first, then you can open the new apps.

Heath

Bob Willis September 20th, 2011 06:30 PM

Still no way to import FCP 7 projects.

Randy Painter September 20th, 2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath McKnight (Post 1683513)
I have both running on my Mac mini with 8GB of RAM, without partitioning the drive. You have to launch Motion 4 first, then you can open the new apps.

Heath

Any problems running this on your mini? Just down loaded the demo on my 2010 mini w/8gb ram, 2.66 processor. Do you need to boot into 64 bit mode to run it?

Heath McKnight September 20th, 2011 08:11 PM

I have the entry model 2011 mini and it runs perfect. When I had 2GB of RAM, forget it -- I got stuttering video, the colored volley ball of doom, etc. I am reviewing an upgrade option from OWC for 16GB of RAM and an SSD. WOW! What a difference it makes.

Heath

Daniel Weber September 20th, 2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Willis (Post 1683544)
Still no way to import FCP 7 projects.

I upgraded FCPX tonight and immediately tried to import an XML file that I had exported out of FCP7.

No such luck...

I read on some blog that this was one of the new features. What gives? Did a blogger get it wrong? That never happens!!! :)

Daniel Weber

Andy Wilkinson September 21st, 2011 02:13 AM

That's Apple being economical with the truth again. If you read up on various forums you'll see this is a "new flavour" of XML (I'm no coding expert so will leave it to others to explain the nuances). It seems it may allow (eventually) some third party to develop a tool that will allow conversion from legacy XML (that you can export out of FCP6/7) to the new version used by FCPX. Then you'll get back the backwards compatibility that any new professional NLE upgraded should have had built in right from the start [....Let's not go there again!]

Just one word or warning for anyone in mission critical FCP6/7 projects that they need to read up before trying this FCPX trial. I've read on various forums that installing FCPX can cause many problems with a legacy FCS suites functionality that's on the sam Mac. Again, others in the thick of it can, I'm sure, elaborate the exact details of what could happen and best practice to prevent it. I do think its good that Apple have enabled people to try it out though - just be careful!

William Hohauser September 21st, 2011 04:28 AM

Here's the technical side of XML and FCPX:

A quick note on the Final Cut Pro X XML format - Digital Rebellion Blog

This reminds me of way back to FCP2 when all sorts of functionality was being developed as third party items for the program and after a while Apple either came up with their own method or bought the program outright and integrated it into FCP. Cinema Tools is an example of this. Another example was serial deck control which didn't make it's way in until FCP3 if I remember.

Heath McKnight September 21st, 2011 09:01 AM

For now, you can buy CatDV and import an XML from FCP 7, and it apparently will export an XML for FCP X.

What is CatDV?

heath

Bill Davis September 21st, 2011 10:14 AM

Early in the update - like in the first hour - there were lots of "jump the gun" posts about incompatibility.

These largely were retracted as people figured out how to navigate the upgrade.

I've seen posts where someone said that "XML Import doesn't work" only to have them come back and admit that they just needed to close down and re-boot in order for the code to update.

It's ALWAYS a good idea to back up your work in progress and to "Image" the state of your drives and system when you're installing new software.

But it's also critical in these days of instant world wide blogging not to "harden" your own thinking and opinions based on something you read in the first blush of a new release.

We're not in the world of journalism here. We're in the world of "I've got to get my opinions on the net FIRST!!!!!" And that's a world where factual mistakes are going to increase.

Mom and dad were right. Patience and a bit of perspective often get far better results than "leap to the keyboard before you look around."

For what it's worth.

Heath McKnight September 21st, 2011 10:16 AM

Bill,

I think that was one of the problems when FCP X first came out -- the big outcry right off the bat. Many stayed at it, and admitted it was pretty cool.

heath

Marc S. Brown September 21st, 2011 10:23 PM

o.k. - a little off topic but you did bring it up - You're editing on Mac MINI???? Really?? How's that working out??

Best,

Marc S. Brown

P.S. - Thanks for your updates!

Never Mind - I saw your reply to an earlier post. I'm still just kinda blown away by the idea though...

William Hohauser September 21st, 2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath McKnight (Post 1683663)
For now, you can buy CatDV and import an XML from FCP 7, and it apparently will export an XML for FCP X.

What is CatDV?

heath

I tried the CatDv demo to go from FCP7 to FCPX. Not a great experience, mostly useless for anything but the simplest single track edits.

Mike Peter Reed September 22nd, 2011 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc S. Brown (Post 1683816)
o.k. - a little off topic but you did bring it up - You're editing on Mac MINI???? Really?? How's that working out??

Best,

Marc S. Brown

Never Mind - I saw your reply to an earlier post. I'm still just kinda blown away by the idea though...

I'm using FCPX to edit 1080i on a 2009 iMac. I'd love to be editing on an i5 or i7 based system, my system doesn't quite have the chops even when using "optimised" ProRes - I need to try "proxy" on my next project.

All said and done - I don't miss FCP7 at all, I no longer have it installed. Note that I am more an auteur/artist than someone who needs to consistently swap files with others.

Looking forward to getting 10.0.1 on here too, hoping it's squashed a few bugs that have been causing FCPX to crash on me (like some fonts can crash out the inspector, I guess "error trapping" isn't taught at developer school nowadays and don't start me with "on error resume next" !!!! /offtopic )

I also agree that FCPX is more a continuation of the iMovie paradigm - I'd have been using the newest iMovie long ago if it could have done the simplest of things on the audio side.

Heath McKnight September 22nd, 2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 1683817)
I tried the CatDv demo to go from FCP7 to FCPX. Not a great experience, mostly useless for anything but the simplest single track edits.

I was told it isn't a perfect system; I haven't downloaded the demo yet myself.

heath

Heath McKnight September 22nd, 2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc S. Brown (Post 1683816)

Sure, it's the very minimum of a graphics card, but so far so good. The 8GB of RAM helps, but I wish I could've kept the 16GB of RAM I'm reviewing, and the 240GB SSD drive. What a dream machine (for a Mac mini) that was! I could see myself buying a 15-inch MBP at some point.

heath

William Hohauser September 22nd, 2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath McKnight (Post 1683922)
I was told it isn't a perfect system; I haven't downloaded the demo yet myself.

heath

"Not perfect" just about describes it. I have a detailed description in this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cu...p-x-now-3.html (Note that I'm not the one saying goodbye to FCPX, I'm sticking with it).

There are ways to use it but it just about demolishes any edit with split edits or multiple video tracks. A lot of work needs to be rebuilt. However the fact that even this can be done opens to door to somebody (I wish I was smart enough) to devise a working translator between the two programs.

Heath McKnight September 22nd, 2011 09:52 AM

I think a lot of it has to do with how different and more sophisticated the timelines are between FCP 1-7 and FCP X. But I agree, someone will develop something, and it will work well. I kind of hope that Apple will do something like, "Classic Timeline," so we can open old projects in an FCP 7-like timeline.

heath

Nigel Barker September 24th, 2011 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath McKnight (Post 1683663)

What is CatDV?

heath

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 1683817)

Even if it worked CatDV Pro costs more than FCP X!

William Hohauser September 24th, 2011 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1684319)
Even if it worked CatDV Pro costs more than FCP X!

Oh yes there's that small issue. I would gladly pay up to $100 for a method to update my ongoing FCP7 projects to X... but it would have to be close to flawless. If I have to go in an redo the edits, (titles and filters I understand would not make the transfers), then I rather rebuild from scratch.

Matt Lawrence September 24th, 2011 10:42 AM

Re: GPU Exporting in 10.0.1

One of the new features in 10.0.1 is the option to export with GPU acceleration by selecting "None" for the Background Rendering option when exporting. I just did a test of 4 minute clip (ProRes pre-rendered project to 720p H.264) and it took literally half the time as Background exporting (I'm using a Mac Pro 2008 with an Nvidia GTX285). Of course, you can't keep working while it's exporting but it's a nice option when you're in a hurry.

Tom Gresham September 27th, 2011 10:29 AM

When I select updates on the App Store, it showed Motion and Compressor, but not FCPX.

How do I update?

Heath McKnight September 27th, 2011 10:44 AM

Update those, quit the Mac App Store, then open it again. Weird, but it works.

heath

Ryan Douthit September 27th, 2011 11:19 AM

I had to trow FCP X into the trash and then re-install from the App store. Not as big of a deal as it sounds, though.

Heath McKnight September 27th, 2011 11:21 AM

I heard that, too, but I didn't need to. But I had to update one at a time, because none of the others showed up in the updates tab.

heath