mac pro fcp x users: u change your graphic card? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old November 23rd, 2011, 03:28 PM   #1
Major Player

mac pro fcp x users: u change your graphic card?

mac pro fcp x users: u change your graphic card?

i saw a fab FCP X presentation last week by Evan Schectman/Radical Media given at Abel Cine/NYC.

I'm thinking about getting on the FCP X train sooner than later.

I'm presently using FCP7 on a 2008 Mac Pro 2.8 8-core 12gig ram/with 8800gt 512 graphics card.

For those Mac Pro folks, when you went with FCP X did u change graphic cards?

If yes, what did you start with?/what did you buy?

How is FCP X working out for you?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Be well.

Rob
Smalltalk Productions
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: mac pro fcp x users: u change your graphic card?

I am using the MacPro 2009 8-Core with the default graphics card and a 2011 17" MacBookPro. Both are working well.

It's good program in a lot of ways but I am looking forward to an intelligent 10.1 upgrade that smooths out some of the bizarre programming choices that make my experience a little frustrating at times.
Old November 24th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Rob, I was there too.
It was good to hear Evan say that he's moving his facility (OutPost Digital) to FCPX with the next major update. They have 50 seats in NYC. He wouldn't make that move if he wasn't confident in X as a professional tool. He's a beta tester so he's making his knowledge from firsthand experience with the beta for the upcoming release.

I have a MacPro 2008. I upgraded my GPU from the Radeon 2600 to the 5770 for FCPX when it came out. FCPX has its quirks but it's really what I've been looking for in an NLE since I first used Avid in 1989. To me, NLEs have been like spreadsheets while FCPX is like a database.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #4
Trustee

Hey I was there also and it was intriguing. Still feel like I wouldn't want to rely on the update to be delivered on time as the reason to make the plunge. I don't see any harm in buying FCP X and running FCP 7 on the same machine.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Rob, I was there too.
It was good to hear Evan say that he's moving his facility (OutPost Digital) to FCPX with the next major update. They have 50 seats in NYC. He wouldn't make that move if he wasn't confident in X as a professional tool. He's a beta tester so he's making his knowledge from firsthand experience with the beta for the upcoming release.

I have a MacPro 2008. I upgraded my GPU from the Radeon 2600 to the 5770 for FCPX when it came out. FCPX has its quirks but it's really what I've been looking for in an NLE since I first used Avid in 1989. To me, NLEs have been like spreadsheets while FCPX is like a database.
Good to hear that kind of confidence from a big time post house! Do we know when to expect the next major upgrade?
Old December 2nd, 2011, 10:05 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Original I was hearing March in the rumor circuit but some folks think it'll be sooner, maybe as early as January.

One might speculate that if a beta tester facility owner can say publicly he's moving his facility it would be sooner than later because he'd have to be pretty confident his testing is going well. Features and features implemented well can make all the difference in the world. Again all speculation but if someone is this confident in November I'd have to think it's a bit closer than 4 months away.

The other aspect is what's happening with what will replace the current MacPros but he didn't indicate anything about that. I've heard speculation though and others are thinking like I am about that as well . . . which doesn't make it accurate though.

In order for FCPX to be competitive a lot has to happen to it as well as their system development. My own guess is that a lot of that is happening at least on the software side which is why he seemed so confident.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X