Can't use FCPX's new Multicam Functionality Until I Figure THIS Out...... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old February 5th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #1
Wrangler

Can't use FCPX's new Multicam Functionality Until I Figure THIS Out......

I watched tutorials and read the official Apple users guide to learn all the in's and outs of FCPX's new Multicam workflow. Unfortunately I simply can't use it because there's no way for me to mix more than one audio track.

With FCP7 I'd drop all my clips from the various angles on the timeline- sync with plural eyes- then export each angle (due to breaks) as video-only clips (non-self contained) then made a multiclip from them and dropped them back into the timeline. What it did is give me a clean video track for switching my camera angles but left the audio, from ALL cameras, intact, in-sync, and stacked to do my audio mix.

With FCPX it forces you to make your multiclip from the Events folder, and once it's made and dropped to the project timeline you can't break apart Audio/Video (the selection is greed out), you can't even access the channel info in the inspector on a Multicam Clip. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out a work-around. Can anyone offer some insight?
Old February 6th, 2012, 05:10 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Can't use FCPX's new Multicam Functionality Until I Figure THIS Out......

Glen:

I haven't had any problem dragging my multi-cam clips into the timeline and then use "match audio" to sync them before detaching the audio track from the cameras and using the audio from the field mixer and recorder with the synched clips.

D.
Old February 6th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm having the same issue and it could result in my not being able to use X.

"Match Audio" seems to do nothing for me. But perhaps I'm not understanding how your method would be a solution to the problem. Need to get several tracks in sync underneath the multiclip video.

I have 5 camera angles and 3 audio sources. In the edit I need to blend audio from two sources - and I need to frequently switch which two sources throughout the edit. Sometimes I need priest audio and ambient, then I'll need grooms audio and ambient, then just music audio, then back to priest and ambient, etc,. In a nutshell, the audio cuts/blends have little to do with the which camera angle is active and everything to do with which sources are best.

I need to see the audio tracks below the multiclip so I can do a surgical edits to the audio completely independent from the video cuts.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #4
Wrangler

Exactly Craig, I only want multi cam to edit the video. I want my audio untouched and stacked below the multi clip to raise and lower whatever track or combination of tracks to mix the audio the way I want.
Old February 6th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott View Post
Exactly Craig, I only want multi cam to edit the video. I want my audio untouched and stacked below the multi clip to raise and lower whatever track or combination of tracks to mix the audio the way I want.
I can't even find a work-around to get "the audio tracks stacked under" the multiclip (and in sync).
Old February 6th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm probably successful in what I want to do because I don't know what I'm doing. I just keep fiddling with FCP X until I find a way to make it do what I want.

On Multicam shoots, I usually record a sound track on a Tascam field recorder using 2-4 channels, depending on the needs. For example, in shooting a large and rowdy public hearing last week I recorded from four mics and then used on-camera mics on a Panasonic AG-HMC80, a Canon 5 D MKII, a Canon 7D and a Sony 560V. In post, I laid down the soundtrack and then added clips from the four cameras and used "match audio" to sync the video on each clip. Then I dropped the camera audios and used the Tascam file for the main sound. Worked smoothly and I was able to deliver a three minute newsclip for a TV station, a six minute clip for a newspaper web site and a DVD of the complete two-and-a-half hour hearing for the county government.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss :)

D.
Old February 6th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Thompson View Post
In post, I laid down the soundtrack and then added clips from the four cameras and used "match audio" to sync the video on each clip.
So I tried the "Match Audio" command. I put a video clip (video w/audio), and an audio track. I put both in the timeline. I selected the audio, then asked me what I wanted to match it to and then clicked to match the clip and then ....nothing. Nothing happened. Audio and video did not sync. My ignorance is not bliss.
Old February 6th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Craig:

Don't know why mine works and yours does not. That's strange. What's your setup for editing?

I read somewhere that FCP X has problems matching audio on some DSLR files but I haven't run into a problem yet with files from the 5D or 7D.

D.
Old February 7th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott View Post
The match audio has nothing to do with sync... it's just an audio enhancement.

I would be grateful to know if you find a solution. I'll share mine if come up with something.
Old February 7th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I said "match audio' when I meant "synchronize clips." That's the command I use to match up the different camera clips with the master sound file form my Tascam field recorder. My mistake.

Once you have the sounds synched you can detach audio from the different camera clips and you have a synched set of clips with the master sound file. Sorry for the confusion.

D.
Old February 7th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #11
Trustee

So Doug, would this scenario work best when sing multiple audio sources to be mixed with multicam?

1. Create "Empty" Compound Clip in the "Event Browser"
2. Open the Empty Compound Clip
3. Place Recorder Master Audio on Primary Storyline
4. Place additional video clips as attached clips to the "Primary Storyline, Main Audio"
5. Synchronize Clips
6. Break apart "Video" clips and delete video, leaving only audio
7. Select "All" media to be used with multiclip (Video and created Compound Clip) (This would most likely be the same media that you used in your compound clip).
8. Create Multiclip
9. Select "Audio Only" in multicam
10. Select "Audio Compound Clip" as audio only to be used in multicam
11. Select "Video Only" for multicam
12. Proceed to edit multicam
13. While in multicam "Open" the compound clip and adjust audio as needed. It seems that while you can't break apart video and audio in multicam, you can open a compound clip to edit (mix) with. Hense my suggested use of a compound clip for an audio mix.

Does this sound about right?

BTW, I created the empty compound clip for the audio, because you can only select media in the "Event Browser" to create muliclips with. And there seems to be no way to get a compound clip from the "Storyline" to the "Event Browser".
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Michael:

My head is spinning just reading all that. Maybe I'm a dunce but what I do is load the audio file, click on it and the different clips I want to synch and hit the pulldown men and click "create new multi cam clip" That gives me a clip with all the angles, which I can then pull into the timeline and edit. detach and eliminate the various camera audios, leaving the Tascam audio file which is synced with each clip.

I was also able to do multi cam edits before the .03 update by using "synchronize clips" and syncing the audio file with each of the different cam clips. The new multi cam feature streamlined that process.

I figured it out by trial and error and probably a lot of dumb luck. It helps that I seldom know what I'm doing. I just look for something that works and then do it. :)

D.
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #13
Trustee

Doug,I know that my workflow sounds nuts.

But from what I can tell, once the multiclip is created you can't break it apart in the timeliness.
Just like you can't break apart the audio in the angle editor.

If there's a way yo break apart the multiclip I would love to know how.
Old February 8th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Michael:

What I do is pull the multi clip into the timeline and then use the angle view to make the cuts between cameras (using the blade tool). I set the active audio priority to the Tascam audio file and then set the angle viewer to video only for the edits. When you cut between cameras in the angle viewer it updates the multi clip in the timeline to reflect the edits and doing do in video only mode leave the audio track intact. I haven't tried to modify the audio file once the multi clip is created so if there is a way to do that I haven't discovered it yet. But using blade to make the cuts between the camera angles works well for my needs.

D.
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
What I do is pull the multi clip into the timeline and then use the angle view to make the cuts between cameras (using the blade tool). I set the active audio priority to the Tascam audio file and then set the angle viewer to video only for the edits. When you cut between cameras in the angle viewer it updates the multi clip in the timeline to reflect the edits and doing do in video only mode leave the audio track intact. I haven't tried to modify the audio file once the multi clip is created so if there is a way to do that I haven't discovered it yet. But using blade to make the cuts between the camera angles works well for my needs.
Doug, what your suggesting doesn't seem to allow me to have multiple audio sources active (to be mixed) in a multiclip.
As all you are doing is selecting one audio source, your Tascam for the primary audio.

I don't have an issue with only using one audio source.
But many times I am using the multiclips camera audio as well as recorder audio, or even 2 recorders for my main audio mix. So what I'm after is a way to have more than one audio source active in a multiclip.

This is why I suggested using a compound clip for my main audio source in a multiclip. As you can go into the created audi compound clip (in your multiclip) and open that up and apply and changes, levels, filters etc. to it.

This way you can have multiple audio sources as your main audio source.
I tried it the other night after I had already cerated a multiclip. The original multclip only had separate audio and video clips in it.

I created an empty compound clip and dropped my H4n audio on the primary storyline. Then made sure that the Event browser would only take "Audio Only" from my video clip. And placed my main cameras audio only as a connected clip to the primary storyline.

I then duplicated the camera audio (which had on camera mic and wireless feed) and placed it above the other camera clip. I then made this dual-mono only (as I only wanted the wireless audio feed) and muted one of the channels. I did this for some audio fullness.

Then clips were synced, and I opened up my multiclip, and added another angle and placed the audio clip in the exact same position as the recorder audio in my multiclip as an additional angle. Since the audio was already synced and the recorder audio was the same file and length, the compound clip lined up perfectly.

Now I switch my angle for my audio to be the compound audio clip. And I now have multitrack audio in my multiclip. I can open up the compound clip, while still in the multiclip and edit my audio mix if needed.

Audio mixing is FCPXs weakest point right now if you ask me. As there's no real way to mix your audio (no audio mixer filter) sources either in the main timeline or multiclip.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X