DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Web page video: What FCPX "share" file type would you use? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/507237-web-page-video-what-fcpx-share-file-type-would-you-use.html)

John Nantz April 24th, 2012 01:44 PM

Web page video: What FCPX "share" file type would you use?

I've stood up a web page for selling things (house, musical instrument, chipper-shredder, rent an apartment, etc.) and would like to have a few videos included. The plan is to save the video on the server and not use hyperlinks to places like vimeo and youtube. For one thing, vimeo doesn't allow a basic member to use their site for selling things.

A. Screen view size: I would like something, say, 2.5 to 3 inches high X whatever width the proportion would be (4:5 or 16:9), minimum.

B. Resolution: Most of what I've recorded is in 1440CBR but reducing the quality to keep the file size small is VERY important. I'm not looking for Full Hi-Def, just something that gets the message across.

C. It is very desirable for the visitor to be able to start viewing the video as soon after clicking on the hyperlink as possible. If they have to wait for a few MegaBytes to be downloaded they probably won't stick around. Also, there will be no advertising on my web page which should be nice.

D. The file format should be viewable by both Macs and PCs. Questions:
1. Is *.mp4 H.264 the most universal format?
2. Should I "Share" to a QuickTime format and assume the PC users will have QuickTime on their machine?

3. FCPx uses the "Share" menu in order to Export. What would you recommend for a Share setting (file type) so it will do what I would like to do?

Is there anything I left out that would be good to know???

Editorial comment: This has been a total struggle.

My resources:
FCPX 10.0.3 (have not updated yet. Waiting until the dust settles)
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 5,1 2.53 8GB memory Lion
MacPro 1,1 Lion
Passport drive: 1TB for video storage
MacBook White 1,1 (for email and Internet surfing) 10.6.8

Arnie Schlissel April 25th, 2012 02:22 PM

Re: Web page video: What FCPX "share" file type would you use?

I use h264 wrapped in either .mov or .mp4. I use an Elgato Turbo to do my h264 encoding, BTW. It's wicked fast & does a really nice job. You should be able to find one for under $100. The other encoder to look at would be any of the Matox Max enabled capture cards.

Matt Lawrence April 27th, 2012 05:09 PM

There is no format that you can just put up on the web that everyone will be able to watch, unless you want them to download it and open it on their system, which is an inconvenience. Your best bet would be to host with Flash player. There are free players out there but you'll need to know how to place the code in your file. Do a search for that.

You could also go with HTML5 video but then you'll need two versions: mp4 and WebM. You'll also need to know the markup for hosting html5 video, of which there are plenty of tutorials on the web. But keep in mind not everyone has an HTML5 compatible browser yet.

Once you know how you'll be publishing then you can worry about which export settings to use.

Welcome to the wild world of web video.

John Nantz April 27th, 2012 10:30 PM

The Wild World Web

Today I went to the Apple store in Tacoma and talked to what was probably the best FCPX Guru on the floor. He was teaching a One-On-One session (or something like that) but when he had a bit of a break I managed to ask him my question about how to post a video on my web site without using a link to YouTube and Vimeo, and making it "universal".

There was very little time that we could talk but one of the things he mentioned was about "wrapping" the file with some HTML code like Matt mentioned. He also mentioned some programs that might be able to be used. One of my constraints that I would like would be that the program be vetted by the Apple Store to minimize nefarious code.

There was some more that he told me but I couldn't catch it all.

I want to thank Matt for the good summary. This isn't what I wanted to hear but I had hoped for some kind of breakthrough. There are so many people using FCPX now that I had hoped there would be some easy solution.

Also thanks to Arnie for his ElGato wrapping idea. It happens that I have EyeTV that we use when in Europe and we're really impressed. So far we haven't been asked to pay for watching it there. Some places in Europe have state supported radio and TV so they collect a user fee from anybody who has a radio or TV, or even uses their laptop to watch TV programs. It works really well.

This has been a really frustrating exercise - trying to come up with a somewhat universal workflow. For the short term to just get something up and running, what I think I might do is just use a QuickTime file and have a statement that QuickTime is needed to view it. This is not my first choice but would give me some time to sort through the various alternatives and figure out what to do next.

If anyone has any other ideas or wants to elaborate on anything I'm still collecting suggestions.

David Dixon April 27th, 2012 11:23 PM

Why not just use YouTube and then embed the video in your site rather than linking to it? It works well, and YT makes sure it can be viewed on every device. You can even make the video private so that it can't be found by searching.

The only other real option is to use h.264 on a web page - remember, h.264 can be played by Flash players. You'd could create a larger version (and deliver it with the choice of of Flash or QuickTime players), and an iDevice version. Again, YouTube is just easier.

Matt Lawrence April 28th, 2012 07:24 AM

Here's a player I should have mentioned: Sublimevideo. I use their WordPress plugin and it works well. Setup is pretty easy. That way you could do with one h264 mp4 file that would work for both Flash and HTML5. There's a good setup guide that walks you through everything.

By the way, do you have Compressor? I'm not sure if FCPX exports to an mp4 wrapper rather than mov. Compressor will.

SublimeVideo Documentation - Quickstart Guide

John Nantz April 28th, 2012 10:43 AM

My YouTube thoughts

This is mostly a reply to Dennis. I realize YouTube would be an easy way out but just have an aversion to it. For one thing, they have this in their Terms of Service: "4.G. If you use the YouTube Uploader, you agree that it may automatically download and install updates from time to time from YouTube."

I'm trying to keep my video computers "clean" of *stuff* and use them strictly for editing. No web surfing, no email, no other programs, no tracking cookies for flash media (has everyone checked out this web site? Adobe - Flash Player : Settings Manager - Website Storage Settings panel to see what they're putting on your computer? More tracking stuff!). I just don't want YouTube going to my computer and putting their stuff on it.

The other option I considered was Vimeo but they don't allow advertising so they're a little more strict than YouTube. Didn't bother to check their Terms of Service for that reason. I guess you can just consider me a masochist.

At least for now I'll try to avoid these two hosting services. The other two options you mentioned is where I'm headed - the h.264 and QuickTime. OT is a slam dunk easy way to go and I'm getting really worn out on this so that's probably my option and just make a note on the page "Can be viewed with QuickTime" and maybe another for where to go to download it. Maybe that's what Apple would like in order to make QT a more universal viewer.

John Nantz April 28th, 2012 11:03 AM

Probably going with QuickTime

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Lawrence (Post 1730064)
Here's a player I should have mentioned: Sublimevideo. I use their WordPress plugin and it works well. Setup is pretty easy. That way you could do with one h264 mp4 file that would work for both Flash and HTML5. There's a good setup guide that walks you through everything.

By the way, do you have Compressor? I'm not sure if FCPX exports to an mp4 wrapper rather than mov. Compressor will.

Thanks for the suggestion. After my Apple Store, Tacoma, visit yesterday I think I'll look into what they have for sale on-line first. Maybe sublimevideo has something there. I'm okay with going with an Apple-vetted program.

Compressor? No, I don't have it. (umm... is that a double negative?) But I've looked into it and can't figure out what it does. The Apple web site isn't clear (to me) if it will take a FCPX file and save it as an *.mp4 file. The other thing I need is to be able to have a small enough file that it will play almost right away so one doesn't have to wait a long time.

One thing I found yesterday that may be of interest is it may be possible to just rename the *.m4v file to *.mp4. Haven't checked this out yet. At the moment I'm really thinking of just caving in and going with QuickTime and noting it on the web page. The other plus is maybe this will help make QT a more universal viewer and AAPL stock will go up.

My work around the house is piling up while I've been delayed on this and my wife is starting to give me major static about all my other uncompleted projects.

DvInfo: Is there a way to increase the time before I get timed-out when writing a post or reply? I'm constantly having to save what I wrote so I don't loose everything and then do a re-post.

Mike Watson April 28th, 2012 01:36 PM

Re: My YouTube thoughts

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Nantz (Post 1730093)
This is mostly a reply to Dennis. I realize YouTube would be an easy way out but just have an aversion to it. For one thing, they have this in their Terms of Service: "4.G. If you use the YouTube Uploader, you agree that it may automatically download and install updates from time to time from YouTube."

I'm trying to keep my video computers "clean" of *stuff* and use them strictly for editing. No web surfing, no email, no other programs, no tracking cookies for flash media (has everyone checked out this web site? Adobe - Flash Player : Settings Manager - Website Storage Settings panel to see what they're putting on your computer? More tracking stuff!). I just don't want YouTube going to my computer and putting their stuff on it.

The other option I considered was Vimeo but they don't allow advertising so they're a little more strict than YouTube. Didn't bother to check their Terms of Service for that reason. I guess you can just consider me a masochist.

At least for now I'll try to avoid these two hosting services. The other two options you mentioned is where I'm headed - the h.264 and QuickTime. OT is a slam dunk easy way to go and I'm getting really worn out on this so that's probably my option and just make a note on the page "Can be viewed with QuickTime" and maybe another for where to go to download it. Maybe that's what Apple would like in order to make QT a more universal viewer.

If you want to avoid anything the YouTube uploader puts on your computer, just upload via the website, not using the uploader (which is a program that you would download and install).

You are trying to build a feat of engineering by yourself, by hand, and it's something that already exists, is free, and your (paying) audience is already familiar with. There is nothing in the TOS that forbids this, in fact, it is quite common.

My $0.02.

Arnie Schlissel April 28th, 2012 02:16 PM

IMO, Compressor is worth every penny of the $49.95 (plus tax) that Apple charges. It's a batch encoder that you can use to create web videos, DVD, Blu-Ray or just convert formats. It will work with any QT codec that you have installed on your Mac.

Matt Lawrence April 28th, 2012 02:36 PM

John, having QuickTime on their system doesn't mean they'll be able to view a QT movie online. It depends more on their browser, and I don't think any browser on the PC side, except for Safari, will show QT movies without downloading them to their desktop.

Also, you don't need to buy anything, unless Compressor was what the Apple guy was talking about. There's nothing out there that does everything for you. And even Compressor you don't really need. You can just install QuickTime 7 if you don't have it on your system. Then you can export your movie as a full quality mov using Export Media under the Share menu (make sure and choose Current Settings for the codec). That should give you a prores file, or whatever codec you're editing in. Then open that mov file with the QuickTime 7 player and export an h264 mp4 file with good web settings. If you decide you want to go that route I can give you more tips.

I've been looking at FCPX's built in export options and none of them have what you need. You can get an m4v file and change the extension to mp4, but there are no bit rates or sizes optimized for the web that I saw, except maybe the podcast option, but then you need a podcast account somewhere to send to. So I would install QT7 and go that route.

One way or another, you're going to have to add some code to a web page, and if you're doing that, the easiest way would be the Sublime player. You can just copy the code from that page mentioned earlier. It's free and the player is great.

John Nantz April 29th, 2012 12:15 PM

Re: My YouTube thoughts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Watson (Post 1730128)
If you want to avoid anything the YouTube uploader puts on your computer, just upload via the website, not using the uploader (which is a program that you would download and install).

Okay, if I don't have to install anything on my computer then I might consider YouTube. I'll consider it but I'd still like to avoid it because, well, just because I'd like to. Maybe it's because I really don't know that much about it beyond just viewing videos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Watson (Post 1730128)
You are trying to build a feat of engineering by yourself, by hand, and it's something that already exists, is free, and your (paying) audience is already familiar with. There is nothing in the TOS that forbids this, in fact, it is quite common.

My $0.02.

I appreciate your $0.02! That's one thing I am trying to avoid is an Engineering feat - especially if there is a way to do it that already exists. The easier the better.

John Nantz April 29th, 2012 12:27 PM

Re: Compressor thoughts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arnie Schlissel (Post 1730139)
IMO, Compressor is worth every penny of the $49.95 (plus tax) that Apple charges. It's a batch encoder that you can use to create web videos, DVD, Blu-Ray or just convert formats. It will work with any QT codec that you have installed on your Mac.

To me, Compressor sounds interesting. On the surface it seems to do so much - but, you know, I have to say I don't know how it would help me. I've been to the Apple web site to find out what it will do, and what I can use it for, and I have to say I can't figure out how it will help at this stage. Later, though, when I start cranking out videos for home consumption and burning them to DVDs, then maybe it'll help. I have no problems spending $49.+ for it if I can really use it.

First of the uses would be something where it is a "must have" in order to get from A to B, second would be anything that can increase quality, speed, or reduce file size with minimal impact on quality.

Anytime someone talks about Compressor here I pay attention to what they say.

John Nantz April 29th, 2012 01:52 PM

Sleepless, er.... make that, Headache in Seattle

And yesterday evening I rested. Thought I'd start to tackle this video posting today but there are more bends in the path to publishing a video on-line that everybody can view.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Lawrence (Post 1730144)
John, having QuickTime on their system doesn't mean they'll be able to view a QT movie online. It depends more on their browser, and I don't think any browser on the PC side, except for Safari, will show QT movies without downloading them to their desktop.

This seems to be my problem area and I have to admit I'm confused about this. So there must be something that YouTube and Vimeo are doing that allow various computer systems, or operating systems, or browsers, to view their videos, where as, with my web site one needs Safari or QT because of the *.m4v file type. Hope I got this.

Quote:

Also, you don't need to buy anything, unless Compressor was what the Apple guy was talking about.

It was toward the end of his session (remember, I kinda "slipped in" as people had left and he talked to me as time permitted so it wouldn't detract from his two, then one, customers. It's an hour and a half drive via heavy traffic to get to Tacoma from here.). I was just trying to find out if Compressor would solve my problem and he didn't think so. I also expressed my difficulty in trying to find out more about Compressor.

Quote:

There's nothing out there that does everything for you. And even Compressor you don't really need.

First sentence: Referring to my very first post, "Don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer." That isn't what I wanted to hear but it's starting to sink in. It's like trying to find one's way out of the maze and there isn't one. Just need to find the simplest and easiest solution to the missing link.

Quote:

You can just install QuickTime 7 if you don't have it on your system. Then you can export your movie as a full quality mov using Export Media under the Share menu (make sure and choose Current Settings for the codec). That should give you a prores file, or whatever codec you're editing in. Then open that mov file with the QuickTime 7 player and export an h264 mp4 file with good web settings. If you decide you want to go that route I can give you more tips.

I've been looking at FCPX's built in export options and none of them have what you need.

I've got QuickTime player but I don't know if that is different than QT7. ProRes is what I've chosen to edit in, and I've been using h.264. One problem I have with the FCPX menus is they don't give you the file extension that will be the file type. If one has to sit there for a length of time while the computer process the data before you can go and see what it was saved at that is a real pain. The few times I've talked to a FCPX person at Apple I've told them so. I like to see the file extensions.

Quote:

You can get an m4v file and change the extension to mp4, but there are no bit rates or sizes optimized for the web that I saw, except maybe the podcast option, but then you need a podcast account somewhere to send to. So I would install QT7 and go that route.

One way or another, you're going to have to add some code to a web page, and if you're doing that, the easiest way would be the Sublime player. You can just copy the code from that page mentioned earlier. It's free and the player is great.

Add Code to Web Page:
I'm using Sandvox and the code is provided when you make the selection to embed a video. This is a long web page and the Sandvox features are at the bottom of the page: Sandvox Website creation for Mac that's as easy to use as the Mac

They make it sound all so easy but I'm just having difficulties with getting other computer users on PCs to view my videos.

From what I can tell, the software does "wrap HTML code" on the web page for a video because it does work, but only with a Mac using a Mac browser. Another person using a PC says they cannot view my video.

I'm open for any tips you might have.

Matt Lawrence April 29th, 2012 05:17 PM

John, just realized that I have QuickTime 7 Pro, and the regular (free) QT7 doesn't allow h264 exporting. Another route would be to use HandBrake, which is free and even easier.

HandBrake

Export a full quality mov file from FCPX as discussed earlier and then open that in HandBrake. Then just use the iPhone and iPod Touch preset. This will give you a very watchable video with a decent bit rate and the other settings you need for the web. It's a little on the small size but if your source quality is OK this should work fine. If you want you can increase the size under Picture Settings by increasing the width of the movie to 640 (make sure Keep Aspect Ratio is checked). You can also lower the bit rate of the audio to 96k and make it mono, unless you need better quality. Just make sure you select the preset before changing any of these settings.

This file should then work with your Sandvox site on all platforms including mobile devices that support h264 video..