DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Can FCP display lower res than it's grappling with? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/508460-can-fcp-display-lower-res-than-its-grappling.html)

Barry McGovern June 12th, 2012 08:49 AM

Can FCP display lower res than it's grappling with?

Hi folks!

On Final Cut Pro on the Mac, and in particular on the new macbook pro retina, is it possible to cut footage while viewing it at a lower resolution than it actually is - i.e. could you play around with the 4K footage from the JVC GY-HMQ10 without this new laptop slowing down, because it wouldn't have to be processing or displaying (or both) the entire image?

In case it's necessary to clarify this, I am fully aware that a person could first downconvert footage from 4k to 1080p or whatever and cut in a traditional off-line fashion with these or many other camera-computer combinations.

But that's not what I am asking - as a person ignorant of FCP I just want to know can I change a setting and have it display at lower res and thereby sidestep all massive file processing problems until I choose to render?

Any knowledge in this area would be appreciated!

Barry McGovern June 12th, 2012 01:34 PM

Re: Can FCP display lower res than it's grappling with?

anyone have any comments?

William Hohauser June 12th, 2012 02:06 PM

Research using proxy resolution ProRes files. I don't use it but it probably covers your question.

Barry McGovern June 12th, 2012 02:13 PM

Thanks William.

I've just been reading these new Macbook Pro Retinas have "a ton of graphics horsepower—enough to support full native resolution on the MacBook Pro's own built-in 2880-by-1800 resolution display plus two more 2560-by-1600 resolution external displays—so much so, that Nvidia kind of went on tilt boasting about its design win on Monday...."

Mmmm.. maybe they will be able to play 4k footage without slowing down after all...

I wonder.

Barry McGovern June 12th, 2012 05:01 PM

I mean, I know it can 'play' 4k... even my current 2008 desktop PC plays 4k... compressed 4k on YouTube... but I just wonder if the new Macbook will let me jump around with 4k in FCP.

Jordan Hooper June 12th, 2012 07:16 PM

These laptops are so new that we're all going to have to wait until they get into the hands of people with that hardware and software and do some reviews.

Barry McGovern June 13th, 2012 02:04 PM

mm, well I was wondering if people using existing desktop macs with tantamount processing power could comment on how they handle 4k

just trying to figure out if I could buy this JVC camera and this Apple computer and if they'd work together

Mathieu Ghekiere June 14th, 2012 09:19 AM

I've heard someone on REDUSER say that they have a maximum trickled out 17" MBP of the latest generation and he could edit 4K (I think in CS6) on his Macbook Pro. I think he said 1/4th resolution.
For 5K he had to go to 1/8, if I remember correctly.
So I would think that this new laptop will be able, but let's wait and see what the reviews and tests bring.

Barry McGovern June 14th, 2012 11:28 AM

Well, that's encouraging - and suggests you can indeed edit on lower resolution than the actual files you are editing...

Thanks Mathieu!

William Hohauser June 14th, 2012 03:29 PM

FCPX will play back files that are overtaxing the processors at lower resolutions automatically for editing. 4K I have no experience in but it will do that with HD files that are not in the resolution you have decided to edit in.

Barry McGovern June 15th, 2012 01:01 AM

That's great. It's the way it should be. Considering you can't see 4k on the new Retina screen anyway. But some systems would still be trying to process the whole image. It sounds like the new JVC camera and Apple laptop should work well together.