DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old June 21st, 2012, 03:11 PM   #1
Major Player

Event within an event?

So far I've only used FCPX to do a couple of single camera stage events, so it's hasn't been too bad, but now I'm working on my first wedding with this system and I wonder if I'm going about this properly or I'm severely missing out on an easier way.

I created an event for each of the following ... pre-ceremony, ceremony, post ceremony and reception. My thought was to then create a master event and place each one of the previous events on that timeline (or whatever the hell they call it these days).

It looks like I can copy the event by selecting all and then open up the master and paste.

My question ... is that the way to do it or am I missing something that is so much easier. Internet searches took me nowhere on this one.

Thanks

Scott
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Event within an event?

Look into using keywords on the clips instead of creating separate events. This will automatically create sub events in the browser under the main event. Depending on how you get the footage into FCPX, you can presort the footage into folders on the hard drive and import the folders as keyword collections. This is very efficient. If you are using camera import then you have to set the keywords manually after importing.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 01:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

+1 for keywords - as I see things, that's the FCPX way of handling organisation within the Event model. Iy also has the advantages that you aren't actually moving files around, so if you want to reorganise, you simply change keywords.
Nick Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback, but I'm not sure I'm explaining properly.

I do use keywords for the clips ... it the creation of events that I'm speaking of.

For instance: in FCP I would make a sequence for each segment of the day. It made it easier to work with if I broke it down into smaller segments. Essentially I would end up with three or four sequences and then I would take all of those and put them into a master sequence.

I'm wanting to do the same with X. I can't find a way to just drag and drop. I have to open the event, copy, open the master event and paste. It seems awkward and feels like there should be a much easier / cleaner way to do this.

I hope this make sense.

Thanks

Scott
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Compound clips.

I create sub-sections within a timeline and title the compound clips in the info tab. I am editing right now a news piece about a museum that is trying to raise awareness and more importantly, expansion funding. Right now I have taken all the footage regarding how to contribute to the museum fund into it's own compound clip while I work on the other interviews. The reason I have done this is that the info in the compound clip is solid and can't be edited any further but the finished piece has to be less than 7 minutes. Now I can monitor the length of the piece while the contribution section remains untouched.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 11:22 PM   #6
Major Player

William ... thank you. Between your answer and trying to find out more about compound clips on-line, I think it's finally setting in. I've really been struggling with that as well as how to edit the audio on the multi-cam. I think I've got it ... or at least better than it was. :-)

Thanks again ...

Scott
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X