DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Thunderbolt storage devices.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/510121-thunderbolt-storage-devices.html)

Andrew Clark August 20th, 2012 03:29 PM

Thunderbolt storage devices....

Hello -

Considering getting the new MBP-RD and was wondering if anybody here has recommendations for a good, reliable TB storage device to utilize with it....for, of course, editing (HD) video.

The devices I've been looking at so far are:

- Pegasus R4
- G-Tech 4tb RAID
- Lacie 4tb 2 Big

If there are other devices you suggest, please do so.

And as far as I know, the Pegasus is the only "hardware" RAID device out there??

Also, has anybody had success in utilizing a TB device in Windows 7 under Bootcamp?

Nate Haustein August 20th, 2012 05:17 PM

Re: Thunderbolt storage devices....

Just got one of the LaCies as a refurb for under $350. It's a well made solid product, but it uses disk utility for the RAID setup. I wasn't overly enthusiastic about it lacking a true hardware RAID, but it's certainly fast.

The G-Tech is also software-based like this, but I can't speak to the Pegasus.

Caleb Reynolds August 21st, 2012 08:06 PM

I have the lacie little big disc thunderbolt...love it. Little noisy but I have some higher end headphones for mixing. Which I haven't ever really attempted anyway (sub it out)

Marcello Mazzilli August 29th, 2012 06:08 AM

I have been working up to now with an external box containing 4x2Tb drives connected with a ESATA interface (also I bought an esata card on my MacPro). Now I would like to switch to THUNDERBOLT... I don't specifically need hardware RAID but obviously I wouldn't say no....

...But an externel box that holds 4 disks costs 1500$ !!! Hos is this possibile.. is.. "just a box"....
Why when you buy an external drive with thunderbolt you pay it 200$ and if I want to buy an empty box (ok.. for 4 drives) it costs so much?

Any idea where I could find a cheap one?

Mathieu Ghekiere August 30th, 2012 02:51 PM

The speed benchhmarks of the Pegasus Raid are just amazing. I've heard very good things about it.

Anand Tech had a really good review of it:

AnandTech - Promise Pegasus R6 & Mac Thunderbolt Review

Ryan Jones September 12th, 2012 07:29 AM

Any news on something like the Pegasus that has thunderbolt and something else (eSATA/FW800)?

My MBP 17 doesn't have thunderbolt, I only have that on my work MBP 13. Looking to upgrade the 17" next year but I'd like to be able to go backwards if I have to.

So far I'm leaning towards a network based solution like the Synology units.

Andrew Clark September 12th, 2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Jones (Post 1752981)
Any news on something like the Pegasus that has thunderbolt and something else (eSATA/FW800)?

My MBP 17 doesn't have thunderbolt, I only have that on my work MBP 13. Looking to upgrade the 17" next year but I'd like to be able to go backwards if I have to.

So far I'm leaning towards a network based solution like the Synology units.

17" next year?!

I don't see any 17" MBP's listed on their store site currently.

Pete Bauer September 12th, 2012 01:45 PM

Drobo has announced the Mini and 5D, both of which will have TB and USB3. No word yet on how suitable they will be for multi-stream HD video editing.

Ryan Jones September 12th, 2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Clark (Post 1753044)
17" next year?!

I don't see any 17" MBP's listed on their store site currently.

Hopefully they'll arrive next year, or it'll be a new Mac Pro if/when they get released.

I'll check out the Drobos too, thanks Pete. Might just end up with something esata and get the lacie esata to thunderbolt dock when I need it.

Andrew Clark September 15th, 2012 06:17 PM

OK...thanks for all the replies!!

I'm still curious about utilizing the Pegasus R4 unit with Windows 7 (via BootCamp). Anybody have any first hand experience or information / advice regarding this?