DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Major FCP X update: 10.0.6 - RED, multichannel audio editing and more (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/511618-major-fcp-x-update-10-0-6-red-multichannel-audio-editing-more.html)

Heath McKnight October 23rd, 2012 02:05 PM

Major FCP X update: 10.0.6 - RED, multichannel audio editing and more

Final Cut Pro X update: 10.0.6 | heath mcknight dot com

Just downloaded and will take it for a spin later. Love the dual viewers, major RED and MXF support, copy and paste attributes are back, too!

heath

David Knaggs October 23rd, 2012 04:09 PM

Re: Major FCP X update: 10.0.6 - RED, multichannel audio editing and more

I noticed that it has "native support" for RED footage. I'm now wondering if it will also work natively with XDCAM EX (from an EX1R) footage, meaning that you don't have to create a second set of files just to create QuickTime versions.

I've been using Premiere Pro for the first time on a large project and my evaluation of it has me very concerned about certain bugs and glitches. But I've been sticking with it so far because I only require half the drive space for the footage as opposed to working with FCP.

But, if it is now possible to work natively with XDCAM EX footage (no QuickTime wrappers), I would definitely give FCP X a proper evaluation (and would have no qualms in switching to FCP X if I found that it now provides me with what I need and want for my particular needs and workflows).

Does anybody know offhand (if FCP X will now work natively with XDCAM EX footage)?

Jason Lowe October 23rd, 2012 06:11 PM

One BIG plus for me is I can open the import window without having to load every camera archive in the folder every time. To borrow a phrase from the early days of OS X, it feels "peppier".

Looks like a solid update. The cynic in me says this is now out of beta and is finally up to .0 standards.

William Hohauser October 24th, 2012 02:26 AM

It's a choice of third party plug-ins to work with XDCAM EX natively at this point so unless you are working with those files on a regular basis, converting with the free Sony XDCAM browser is probably better.

The Multi-track audio and the improved viewer options are first on my excitement list although the return of single stroke still is pretty high up there. Downloading today.

William Hohauser October 24th, 2012 01:28 PM

Major improvement - Exports are now a background task! At least to a ProRes file.

Josh Dahlberg October 24th, 2012 09:59 PM

My biggest personal gripe with FCPX has been the inability to copy and paste attributes - it's really posed a major headache for me, as selectively copying attributes was something I did all the time in FCP7.

Finally it's in FCPX - yes!

Another annoyance has been losing clip in and out points in the event browser, when you switch between clips. Now (as should have been the case from day one), they are retained.

And, at last, drop shadow is back.

I'm very happy that FCPX is now, at long last, getting up to speed. This update will make life a lot easier.

Charles Newcomb October 24th, 2012 11:42 PM

I downloaded the Ripple Training tutorial covering all the improvements in-depth Final Cut Pro 10.0.6 In-Depth Looks like it'll make things a lot less foggy in my old brain.

William Hohauser October 25th, 2012 10:43 AM

The drop shadow is very nice, using it already. The paste attributes panel is a great addition, shift/command V and it's there. Importing clips directly into a keyword collection seems to be broken now but I can drag clips into keyword collections.

Compressor is behaving differently. If you have a QuickCluster enabled, it no longer asks if you want to turn it on at launch. Also the CPU usage seems to have changed, a DVD encode I just did no longer lights all the CPUs to full in Activity Monitor but it seemed to be just as fast as before. Further investigation is needed.

Dave Partington October 25th, 2012 03:12 PM

Anyone else having crash problems with 10.0.6? I've had it crash 9 times today across two different macs using proxy media in a multicam sequence with the audio expanded to see all tracks.

Disappointing to say the least.

William Hohauser October 25th, 2012 05:18 PM

No crashes. Just worked on two commercials, laid down Photoshop titles over a theatrical trailer and exported two projects in the background at the same time. The drop shadow was a little wonky on the Photoshop titles but the file I was given was not HD sized at all and had several titles cards stacked as if it was a lobby card for an easel.