DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Fcp x 10.0.7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/512708-fcp-x-10-0-7-a.html)

Michael Wisniewski December 13th, 2012 12:17 PM

Fcp x 10.0.7

This build seem pretty solid so far, been busy editing for the past week. Some odd bugs here and there, but performance wise it seems to be a keeper. Running on a Macbook Pro 8GB with OSX Lion, before 10.0.7 this system had some pretty irritating stability issues.

Anybody else have any comments on 10.0.7?

David Knaggs December 13th, 2012 04:47 PM

Re: Fcp x 10.0.7

Hi Michael.

I agree with you on the stability issues.

I'm doing my first major project with FCP X. I started this project using Premiere Pro for the first time, but (midway through) transferred the project to FCP X when the 10.0.6 update came out - the ability to make a Freeze Frame in the timeline was one of the major reasons.

I normally would have ignored this update (10.0.7) until I finish this project in a few weeks, but I honestly was so sick of the crashing of FCP X that I updated to 10.0.7 the instant it appeared in the App Store.

Since then, I can't recall a single crash. So, you're right, it's a keeper!

Is one of the "odd bugs" that you mentioned the tendency of the renderer to occasionally make the first frame (or couple of frames) green after rendering? Fortunately, it doesn't affect the final export. But it's a pesky thing that I hope they address when they release 10.0.8.

Michael Wisniewski December 13th, 2012 11:37 PM

Yes I've seen that bug, also another that seems to add frames after the last clip on the timeline. Either way, I'll take the stability any day.

Dave Partington December 14th, 2012 11:18 AM

10.0.7 is far more stable for me than 10.0.6, but it still has the plug-in bug where it's not passing all the frames through to the plugins (introduced in 10.0.6 I think) such as Neat video. I really hope Apple fix this one quickly!

David Knaggs December 17th, 2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Knaggs (Post 1767843)
... the tendency of the renderer to occasionally make the first frame (or couple of frames) green after rendering? Fortunately, it doesn't affect the final export.

I need to correct what I said here.

I just found that it DOES affect the final export, if you go out directly from the timeline using Share > Export File. I left it on the current settings (ProRes 422) and exported, only to find a nasty green frame or two at the beginning of a dissolve (which was how it rendered it on the timeline originally). This was the first time I'd used Share on a section with that green rendering problem. Previously, I'd exported through Compressor into different formats (other than what I used on the timeline) and observed that the green rendering problem was gone. Which is why I originally said that it "doesn't affect the final export".

So, as a workaround, I exported through Compressor using the "Apple ProRes 422 setting" and found that the green frame was gone in the final product. My conclusion is that Compressor must automatically discard render files, even if the export settings are exactly the same as those in the timeline.

William Hohauser December 17th, 2012 10:35 PM

Do you have Perian installed?

David Knaggs December 17th, 2012 10:50 PM

Absolutely.

William Hohauser December 18th, 2012 04:39 PM

Try disabling it and then rendering. FXFactory puts up warning messages that Perian will disrupt some of the transitions and filters they sell.

David Knaggs December 18th, 2012 06:55 PM

Thanks, William.