DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Best way to transfer FCPX & all files to "new" computer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/512950-best-way-transfer-fcpx-all-files-new-computer.html)

John Nantz December 26th, 2012 06:29 PM

Best way to transfer FCPX & all files to "new" computer

The good news: Just got a new-to-me "new" compter (Mac Pro 3,1) running Lion and now....

The bad news: I need to transfer all my files, video clips, etc. from my old computer (Mac Pro 1,1) to the new one. I don't need to transfer the render files but having said that, if it's more work to not do it, then I'm for the least-work and least-complications option.

As a little wrinkle, I've got FCPX installed on my MacBook Pro so that's the second copy. One is allowed a "backup" copy and this is it. So if I transfer everything from one computer (1,1) to another (3,1), including the application, then I'd be illegal.

Is there a way to transfer ALL the video files, original imported clips, Events, and edited Projects but WITHOUT transfering FCPX? Then deleting FCPX on the 1,1 and re-downloading it on 3,1?

OR, is there another and better way?

I've been searching the Apple FCPX web site about doing this and haven't found anything that really fits my case.

This link (the best one I've been able to find) talks about two ways, one of which is to use Finder but seems to hint that this method could result in problems. https://discussions.apple.com/message/17237456#17237456 I've got a number of "projects in progress and would really like to try and avoid having problems.

Replies (especially fairly detailed ones) are really appreciated. The least trouble-free method is what I prefer. If it takes longer, that's okay as time is not a problem.

Dmitri Zigany December 26th, 2012 06:47 PM

Re: Best way to transfer FCPX & all files to "new" computer

As I understand it, Apps bought from the Mac App Store you can use on up to 5 computers as long as they are all using the same iCloud/App Store account...

And if you just drag the projects and events folders to the new computer it should be easy to tell FCPX about them, I think. (haven't tested, but it should)
The Project folders is where render files live as well...

William Hohauser December 26th, 2012 08:11 PM

Use the Move function in FCPX to move the event files to an external drive and then do the same with the project files. Deactivate your account on the old MacPro and activate the new one. Attach the external drive and either use the move function to transfer the files to the new MacPro or just start editing off the external drive. Or......

Attach the old MacPro using "target" mode (hold down T during start-up on the old computer) and use Migration Assistant to transfer your account and all associated applications and files to the new computer.

John Nantz December 26th, 2012 11:36 PM

Thanks guys for the input. I just finished taking the video card out of the "new" computer, cleaning all the dust that I could out of everywhere, and got it put back together. Put it on my desk and it's ready to hook up tomorrow.

Did some Quick searching to find out how many copies of FCPX a home user can have and couldn't find the answer. Did some more Quick searching about the Move command menu option but all the references were for Project files but nothing for Project FOLDERS. I could move the items by Project but it would take longer and I'd prefer to move the entire FCPX Project folder. Ditto the Even folder and the video clips. Frankly, I'd really like to just move everything (I think).

More to do for tomorrow.

Geoff Addis December 27th, 2012 03:28 AM

Download Carbon Copy and use it to copy all files from the original Mac to an external hard drive then boot up the new computer using that hard drive (hold Alt down whilst booting up, then select the external hardrive as the boot disk) once booted use Carbon Copy to copy files from the external hard disk to the new computer's boot disk. CC is a very useful piece of software, it used to be freeware, but there is now a small charge.

John Nantz December 27th, 2012 01:01 PM

This is taking a little longer than I thought. This morning I continued to research how many computers I can install FCPX on and found this link: Final Cut Pro X: Frequently Asked Questions

Quoting from the Apple web site:

On how many computers can I install Final Cut Pro X?
The Final Cut Pro X license agreement states that you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install and use the Apple Software only on Apple-branded computers that you own or control in accordance with the Mac App Store Product Usage Rules located at Apple - Legal - iTunes ("Mac Usage Rules").

So, okay, they don't exactly answer the question. Still in a quandry I called the Apple App Store (800) 692-7753 and after getting past the robot I eventually was able to talk to a live person. She didn't know the answer, either, and neither did her supervisor. She did say "the App could be downloaded up to ten times." It seems like I'm good to go with a new install on the (3,1) computer. However, I guess I'll have to be careful about how I buy and sell my computers. Needless to say, I've got my hopes set on a Thunderbolt model down the line.

Time to go to work and do a download, what?, about 2.5 hours worth?

Carbon copy? Some more to check on along with "Move".

Josh Dahlberg December 28th, 2012 01:44 AM

If it helps at all, I have four macs (two imacs, an air, and a mac pro) with FCPX installed in all of them from the same App store account. Haven't encountered any issues.

Personally I would not use the "move" function. Why? Because if anything happens along the way (disk error, power failure, system hang), you run into trouble from which it's painstaking (speaking from experience) to recover.

I stay well away from the "move" command, and instead use "duplicate". Then, once everything is successfully transferred, you simply delete the original files (this achieves the same result as "move" with added peace of mind).

Good luck.

Josh Bass December 28th, 2012 06:09 AM

This is somewhat tangental to the posted topic, but I will sort of be going through the same thing soon. I just bit the bullet and got a mid-2011 Imac, upgrading from an 08 Imac.

Most have advised not trying to transfer/migrate stuff over, but to suck it up and reinstall everything from scratch on the new machine (yes I realize certain applications are probably goners due to the new OS).

What do you guys think?

Dmitri Zigany December 28th, 2012 07:45 AM

I just bit the bullet and ordered a new MacBook Pro Retina so I will be in the same situation as well.
I'm gonna re-install everything. I believe it's good to get rid of the garbage that builds up over the years, so it's worth the extra effort to have a completely clean OS...

William Hohauser December 28th, 2012 08:40 AM

Migration is a convenience that transfers your personal settings and preferences for all your programs besides the bulky data. In the years I have managed my 8 Macs and helped with many others' Macs, I have never encountered a problem with migration besides programs that no longer work due to age. Of course a new computer is a good time to scan your old computer and clear out accumulated data that you really no longer need and manually overseeing the transfer is a good way to get more familiar with the system architecture of the computer if you don't want to lose custom parameters you have set in particular programs: actions in Photoshop, custom Compressor settings, etc. Many years ago I learned how to find the library files for particular programs so I could transfer programs to new computers without losing years of accumulated settings or wasting time with lengthy installs from slow CD discs, these days I find that Migration Assistant takes care of everything.

You can also use a Time Machine backup on the new computer.

John Nantz December 28th, 2012 01:54 PM

The "new"-to-me computer saga continues, but I' beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's great to hear that others will soon be in the "transfer to the new computer" boat. Join the crew!

Update: as of late last night the download of FCPX was completed. Whew! After nearly 8 hours! Couldn't believe it when the download started and it was estimating 7-hours and somewhere in the 50-minutes range. My wife was also on the computer so I figured she was doing something on the Internet so I just let it go. A while later I checked and while the time was shorter it wasn't proportionally shorter and decided to just let it go. Normally it's about a 2.5-hour download and I figured it'd speed up later. Well, it didn't.

Speaking of computer settings, I probably have to take a look at the Internet settings. Maybe it's set up for dial-up??? This might be related to the suggestion that Mr Hohauser had talked about.

"New" computer philosophy: This particular (3,1) will be only for video editing. I've got a few others for email, Internet searching, and the like. The plan is to keep it "clean" of garbage and extraneous files so I'll go through the extra effort and manually select items to transfer over with the idea that "Less is more."

More on philosophy, we tend to hang onto the old computers for some reason. In fact, we still have an original iMac bondie that was bought on the very first day they came out, along with an old coordinated bondie phone and floppy drive. We'll be donating it to the OmniGroup The Omni Group for their museum. It's nice to look at but it's taking up space. Needless to say, it hasn't been used in quite a while.

My wife is trying to make me say "yes" to getting rid of the Mac Pro 1,1 but I've been stalling. For how long it remains to be seen. The "new" 3,1 has a solid state drive and a hard drive so using the old one for a hard drive isn't an excuse and she knows it.

Edit:
A slight update. My thought now is to just copy one Project at a time over to the "new" computer and finish editing it there because rendering and burning it to a DVD will be faster. Once it's finished then move on to the next Project. I've got a couple dozen Projects in the queue to process so this will probably take a while as I'm still got lots of things to figure out in my edits and lots to still learn with FCP. Another roadblock is coming up with a nice solution for a DVD Menu.

All this has to be fit in with all the other work in life so it won't be a fast or speedy process.

John Nantz December 29th, 2012 12:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Upload & Download speed tests:

If one is interested in how fast their Internet connection is, there are some computer speed tests available.

Century Link: theirs can be accessed at speedtest.centurylink.net
There were no cookies in connection with this link.

another resource is speedof.me
This site says there are no cookies but Google sends one tracking cookie. Also, Java and Java Script must be enabled.

These were done with DSL via a wireless connection. One can get faster speeds by connecting the computer with a cable directly to the modem. It is also recommended to delete the trash and cookies.