DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Anyone using FCPX with the MacBook Pro Retina? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/512978-anyone-using-fcpx-macbook-pro-retina.html)

Dmitri Zigany December 28th, 2012 08:01 AM

Anyone using FCPX with the MacBook Pro Retina?

Hey!

I just bit the bullet and ordered the MacBook Pro with Retina Display (2.6/16gb/256gb).

Anyone here use it with FCPX? How's it working out?

As Thunderbolt drives still are rediculously expensive, I'm also wondering if anyone has used a USB3 drive for their media drive, and how that's working? I'm planning on taking the 2TB drive from my old Mac Pro and put it in an external USB3 case (any recommendations?).
But I want to move to only 2.5" drives that are powered via USB, for portability. And keep cheaper 3.5" drives only as back-up/archive disks.

In the long haul I'm planning on getting SSD Thunderbolt drives, but money is always an issue, so I'm hoping to make do with the least amount of expenses to begin with...

thanks

DZ

Dave Partington December 28th, 2012 08:08 AM

Re: Anyone using FCPX with the MacBook Pro Retina?

FCPX works well on the retina model. Very well in fact. It also works well on the 2011 MacBookPros. I've used both with no problems.

In terms os USB3 drives - no problem - go ahead and use them. I have a Lacie (bus powered) dual Thunderbolt / USB3 drive I use all the time. USB3 is plenty fast enough.

In fact, if you're editing simple stuff (single track etc) then even USB2 works, so USB3 has plenty of room to grow. I've even edited some multicam of external bus powered USB2 drives using proxy media - no problem. When you start trying to layer lots of stuff then of course you need more bandwidth. It's about how you structure stuff, and your willingness to use proxy footage where needed.

Dmitri Zigany December 28th, 2012 09:18 AM

That's assuring!

Is a 7200rpm 2.5" drive just as fast as a 7200rpm 3.5" drive?
Then I could get away with a 1TB 2.5" HDD in a USB3 case for use on the run...

Dave Partington December 30th, 2012 06:57 AM

The 750GB drive (2.5") in my MBP sustains around 95MB/s. That's lots for editing either native or prores footage which seems to top out around 25MB/s.

However, as I said, if you're doing multi cam or lots of layered tracks then edit with proxy and export from full res when ready.

I just did a short corporate on the MBP that needed 6 colour correction layers, some motion graphics (3 layers) and some transitions and (using proxy) it all played real time without rendering. The final render at full quality was a little slower than real time, but not much!

Sabyasachi Patra December 30th, 2012 08:32 AM

I am using FCPX with my 17 inch Macbook Pro. This is the non-retina model. I bought it just a day before the 17 inch model was dropped with the introduction of the retina series.

It works for my needs. Here is a short filmed with the Canon C300 and cut with FCPX in the macbookpro.