DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   import grey out (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/513050-import-grey-out.html)

Osmany Tellez December 31st, 2012 11:08 AM

import grey out

Maybe I'm missing something but i don't like the new method of importing...hope someone can shine a light on this..

I used to copy my card footage to HD and then just import without moving, this way was simple and fast for me. Now the import window has greyed out the option to unchecked the Copy to Event option...don't understand why...it used to work just find before, at least for me..never had an issue and it was fast.

doesn't make sense to me.

any ideas or solutions?

thanks..

Osmany Tellez December 31st, 2012 11:13 AM

Re: import grey out

i even encounter lots of error messages now...like this one.

The following clip encountered an error during import and is still referencing media on the camera:

it was fine before...why the change to worst?

Dave Partington December 31st, 2012 02:04 PM

What kind of footage are you importing?

Have you trashed the preferences? I had a couple of odd quirks that were cleared up by trashing preferences (it's quick and easy) and on I went.

This *could* be something as simple as that, though I'm not guaranteeing it of course :)

Osmany Tellez December 31st, 2012 05:48 PM

no, it has nothing to do with preferences..i did trashed them thou...but it is the new way the import works...so stupid to me..it was better before..how can you take something that used to work and make it worst?

now import is painfully slow..and the freacking error comes on all the time..what means i have to be in front of the computer to press ok so it continues importing...f&^&^...stupid.

arrrrrrr...venting...

any way out of this?

Dave Partington December 31st, 2012 06:18 PM

I just tried re-importing some Canon 5D footage and it wants to copy it - I thought it didn't to before - maybe I was wrong.

However, the error is what is really frustrating you, if you weren't getting the error you'd be a lot better right?

So probably the best thing to do is focus on why you are getting the error.

What exactly are you importing? I'm not getting any errors......

William Hohauser December 31st, 2012 06:34 PM

What sort of video files are you using? A client brought in an SD card with AVI files on it and I had to let FCPX take a while to scan the files before I could import them. I later transferred some new AVI files to the HD and FCPX still needed to scan the files but it took less time. I also had a strange time with a file off of a SD card that FCPX would not import and transcode, it left it on the SD card. I had to manually move the file and import it into another event.

Osmany Tellez January 2nd, 2013 09:42 PM

just importing files of my 5d, t3i and t2i...

well..the point is..it was working fine as it was before..faster and cero error..now..so slow importing and freaking error..witch means..time i have to spend troubleshooting the damn thing..

anybody finds this a pain in the a..? how you deal with this? just bite the bullet?

stupid it seems to me...but what do i know.

thanks for all your help...i like the program but have a hard time with simple things like this...

peace.

William Hohauser January 2nd, 2013 10:03 PM

Last night I imported some mov files from the new GH3 into FCPX and experienced an issue that required that I throw out the original import and re-import but pay attention to the Background Tasks before doing anything.

What happened was that since FCPX no longer keeps the import screen up as you are importing there is no way to monitor the progress unless the Background Task window is open. What I had done was shoot with the new 50mps setting in the GH3 and wasn't thinking about the much larger files it produces compared to the GH2. Seeing the event window populated with my files and thinking that enough time had passed, I quit the program, removed the SD card and came back later. What came up in the event window was a lot of missing media. Mounting the SD card brought the media back but FCPX no longer wanted to import the media to my hard drive, it was happy with it on the SD card. The only way to fix this that I found was to delete all the media and re-import, this time keeping an eye on the Background tasks. Luckily I hadn't started to edit with the footage or it would have been a mess.

Dave Partington January 4th, 2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 1770808)
What came up in the event window was a lot of missing media. Mounting the SD card brought the media back but FCPX no longer wanted to import the media to my hard drive, it was happy with it on the SD card. The only way to fix this that I found was to delete all the media and re-import, this time keeping an eye on the Background tasks. Luckily I hadn't started to edit with the footage or it would have been a mess.

When this happens go to File --> Import --> ReImport from Camera Archive. This will reconnect to the media as if you hadn't quit the program and should continue ingesting it.

Osmany Tellez January 4th, 2013 01:44 PM

this is annoying to me....now i see that besides no being able to deselect copy to event folder, getting an error on import even thou there is no real error...also i see the names of my clips have also changed...now the new name is some date plus (id) tag...so..i lost my original file's name..can't find an opcion to fix this...

any FCPX expert here who can explain to me why is this a smart thing and me not understanding...or..a workaround to this annoying issue?

thanks

Osmani