DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   USB 3.0 Compact Flash Card Reader For MBPro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/513224-usb-3-0-compact-flash-card-reader-mbpro.html)

Ronald Jackson January 6th, 2013 05:18 AM

USB 3.0 Compact Flash Card Reader For MBPro

Can anyone recommend a USB 3.0 CF Card Reader for a MBP Retina? Checked via Amazon and there appear to be reservations (a) about multi-card readers, but I only want a CF card reader and (b) there seem to be compatibility issues with some readers and Macs.

Ron

Dave Partington January 6th, 2013 07:13 AM

Re: USB 3.0 Compact Flash Card Reader For MBPro

I use the Lexar USB card reader. It has CF and SD slots. It's also pretty fast.

My only reservation with any USB 3 reader is that the USB3 connection can become a little loose on the card reader end if you need to keep packing it to move around. It can be tightened again, but it's something to be aware of.

Chris Medico January 6th, 2013 10:00 AM

I have the Lexar USB3.0 dual slot card reader as well and have been having an odd problem with it.

I purchased some of the Sony UHS-1 32GB SD cards and the reader doesn't like reading from them. It writes to them fine but will read from them reliably when using a USB2 interface. If I plug it into a USB3 port it will read like mad for a few seconds then crash. There is something about the high speed nature of these cards that wiggs out the reader. The problem worsened after applying the latest firmware for the reader.

I have an RMA to send it back to Lexar on Monday to see what they can figure out.

Be sure to give your reader a good workout to make sure it works reliably.

Steven Bisig January 12th, 2013 12:50 PM

I shoot (stills) sports professionally on deadline so speed and reliability are a must. I have been using a couple of these since I got my Retina last July. They are fast, reliable and the cable stays in even after how hard I am on them.

Kingston Technology USB 3.0 Hi-Speed Media Reader FCR-HS3

Jonathan Levin January 13th, 2013 02:04 AM

Ron,

I just bought the Lexar dual card reader. It's nice that reader folds into itself, protecting the inner workings. The transfers from a 16GB CF were pretty speedy. It is also pretty small compared to other readers I've owned$ 40.00US

The only thing I don't like about it is the detachable USB cable. Just another thing to have to plug in, and another connection point that could fail. In addition, the end that goes into the reader is a new (to me) kind of USB connection, so if that cable goes missing you're scrood I suppose. Interestingly the Nikon D800 uses the same kind of USB connection.

Ronald Jackson January 13th, 2013 08:39 AM

Thanks everybody. I eventually purchased a Kingston multi card reader, but as my new MacBook Pro is still being put together in CHINA (thought they were US, the prices certainly are) no opportunity to test.

Ron

Pete Bauer January 13th, 2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Levin (Post 1772904)
The only thing I don't like about it is the detachable USB cable...In addition, the end that goes into the reader is a new (to me) kind of USB connection, so if that cable goes missing you're scrood I suppose. Interestingly the Nikon D800 uses the same kind of USB connection.

That new connection is the USB3 Micro B-Type, which by now should be easy to replace if needed at any electronics store. Here's a vendor page with pictures and descriptions of all the different USB connection types:

C2G - USB Connector Guide

As far as the Lexar having the cable separate, one man's poison is another man's pleasure. I have the opposite viewpoint about it than Jonathan. Having a separate cable, rather than hard-wired on the device, allows me to stuff the reader and coiled cable into my backpack without kinking or stressing a connection. Although a tad more fiddly to connect than the USB Mini-b connector it replaces, once connected it is seated as well as any other similar small connector and hasn't been a problem for me.

Bottom line is that any USB 3 device is going to use the new cables.