DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   venting (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/514301-venting.html)

Osmany Tellez February 13th, 2013 09:10 AM

venting

is anybody experiencing a million crashes with this program?

oh man...spinning ball, crash, compound, crash, every little thing, crash..so tired wasting time reopening, crash, afraid to move my curser, crash...

wuao...

and i thought i will work faster than before...

Dave Partington February 13th, 2013 09:16 AM

Re: venting

I *was* seeing up to 50 or more (seemingly random) crashes a day, but I replaced my GTX285 card with an ATI5770 and haven't had a single crash since!

Keith Ward February 13th, 2013 09:53 AM

No crashes here. Working on a new retina-display 15" MBP/i7/8GB RAM (which I'm going to double). It's got a separate video card, and I'm sure that helps a lot.

David Knaggs February 13th, 2013 01:04 PM

Hi Osmany.

Are you on 10.0.7?

Dave Partington February 13th, 2013 03:26 PM

Osmany, you may want to update your signature, because for sure you aren't using FCPX on a Dual G5 ;)

John Nantz February 13th, 2013 11:59 PM

No problems here either. I'm not saying I've never seen the beach ball but it's not that often.

MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 5,1 2.53 upgraded to 8 GB RAM

Mac Pro 1,1 2.66 Video card upgraded to ATI Radeon HD 5770 (required per Apple)
Upgraded RAM to 10 GB ECC

Both machines are relatively "clean" of application clutter. I prefer applications that have been Apple "vetted". However, there are two applications I use that were not purchased through the App Store so they were not vetted. The Mac Pro is Video-Only and the MacBook Pro is more-or-less Video-Only.

David Dixon February 14th, 2013 12:28 AM

The only time I ever see crashes are occasionally when trying a freeware plugin :-)

I have a 2008 Mac Pro 8-core (3,1) with 12gb ram, ssd boot drive, and Radeon 5870. Two thoughts (assuming you've already done the standard deleting of prefs files):

You may need to reinstall FCPX - move it out of the Applications folder and reinstall from the App Store.

If you have a LOT of Events and Projects, things can get slow. Use Event Manager X to hide the ones not currently being edited/accessed.

John Nantz February 14th, 2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Dixon (Post 1779000)
If you have a LOT of Events and Projects, things can get slow. Use Event Manager X to hide the ones not currently being edited/accessed.

David - great comment. Having read this I remember coming across this before but totally forgot about it. However, I made a note this time (not a mental one!, on paper this time)

Couple more ideas:
Activity Monitor: see if there is anything running that doesn't need to be.

Internet: Some programs have push (?or whatever they call it), say email notifications and the like. Turn off or disconnect from the internet if it's not needed.

Computers are somewhat like people in one way, multitasking can make things more difficult. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Osmany Tellez February 15th, 2013 06:59 AM

sorry tok me so long..

yes, I'm on 10.7, and i hide unused projects and events to keep clean...really hate having to reinstall...i confess..i have neat video..witch i think it might be the big issue but i need it so bad that i don't want to get rid of it...

thanks for the help.

Dmitri Zigany February 17th, 2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Ward (Post 1778872)
No crashes here. Working on a new retina-display 15" MBP/i7/8GB RAM (which I'm going to double). It's got a separate video card, and I'm sure that helps a lot.

You know that it's not possible to add more ram after purchase on the retina MacBook Pros, no?

Dmitri Zigany February 17th, 2013 09:12 AM

I have hardly seen any crashes at all.

However, sometimes the App-Window (for lack of better way to describe it) never becomes 'active' again, making it unresponsive to any manipulations via the mouse (or trackpad) while keyboard shortcuts still work as usual... Very weird, and I haven't found any other solution than to quit and reopen FCPX...
This is in 10.0.7

Phil Gadd February 17th, 2013 02:34 PM

Mine used to crash a lot editing HD footage until I started to use proxy media and it become much much better.

I was using 2010 MBP 8gb ram, core 2 duo

Michael Wisniewski February 17th, 2013 10:25 PM

As of 10.0.7 I've found FCP X to be very stable.

I had stability problems on older MBPs which were fixed by switching to the slower onboard GPU. Also I noticed that some particular text templates would be prone to crashing.

As of right now though, I'm happy with the stability through the whole process timeline editing, background rendering, effects, and exporting.

Chris Northcross March 10th, 2013 06:23 AM

Haven't experienced many problems since 10.0.6 update. What operating system are you on? 10.8?