venting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old February 13th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

venting

is anybody experiencing a million crashes with this program?

oh man...spinning ball, crash, compound, crash, every little thing, crash..so tired wasting time reopening, crash, afraid to move my curser, crash...

wuao...

and i thought i will work faster than before...
Old February 13th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: venting

I *was* seeing up to 50 or more (seemingly random) crashes a day, but I replaced my GTX285 card with an ATI5770 and haven't had a single crash since!
Old February 13th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

No crashes here. Working on a new retina-display 15" MBP/i7/8GB RAM (which I'm going to double). It's got a separate video card, and I'm sure that helps a lot.
Keith Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Osmany.

Are you on 10.0.7?
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Trustee

Osmany, you may want to update your signature, because for sure you aren't using FCPX on a Dual G5 ;)
Old February 13th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #6
Trustee

No problems here either. I'm not saying I've never seen the beach ball but it's not that often.

MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 5,1 2.53 upgraded to 8 GB RAM

Mac Pro 1,1 2.66 Video card upgraded to ATI Radeon HD 5770 (required per Apple)
Upgraded RAM to 10 GB ECC

Both machines are relatively "clean" of application clutter. I prefer applications that have been Apple "vetted". However, there are two applications I use that were not purchased through the App Store so they were not vetted. The Mac Pro is Video-Only and the MacBook Pro is more-or-less Video-Only.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #7
Major Player

The only time I ever see crashes are occasionally when trying a freeware plugin :-)

I have a 2008 Mac Pro 8-core (3,1) with 12gb ram, ssd boot drive, and Radeon 5870. Two thoughts (assuming you've already done the standard deleting of prefs files):

You may need to reinstall FCPX - move it out of the Applications folder and reinstall from the App Store.

If you have a LOT of Events and Projects, things can get slow. Use Event Manager X to hide the ones not currently being edited/accessed.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dixon View Post
If you have a LOT of Events and Projects, things can get slow. Use Event Manager X to hide the ones not currently being edited/accessed.
David - great comment. Having read this I remember coming across this before but totally forgot about it. However, I made a note this time (not a mental one!, on paper this time)

Couple more ideas:
Activity Monitor: see if there is anything running that doesn't need to be.

Internet: Some programs have push (?or whatever they call it), say email notifications and the like. Turn off or disconnect from the internet if it's not needed.

Computers are somewhat like people in one way, multitasking can make things more difficult. Jack of all trades, master of none.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 06:59 AM   #9
Regular Crew

sorry tok me so long..

yes, I'm on 10.7, and i hide unused projects and events to keep clean...really hate having to reinstall...i confess..i have neat video..witch i think it might be the big issue but i need it so bad that i don't want to get rid of it...

thanks for the help.
Old February 17th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Ward View Post
No crashes here. Working on a new retina-display 15" MBP/i7/8GB RAM (which I'm going to double). It's got a separate video card, and I'm sure that helps a lot.
You know that it's not possible to add more ram after purchase on the retina MacBook Pros, no?
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #11
Major Player

I have hardly seen any crashes at all.

However, sometimes the App-Window (for lack of better way to describe it) never becomes 'active' again, making it unresponsive to any manipulations via the mouse (or trackpad) while keyboard shortcuts still work as usual... Very weird, and I haven't found any other solution than to quit and reopen FCPX...
This is in 10.0.7
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Mine used to crash a lot editing HD footage until I started to use proxy media and it become much much better.

I was using 2010 MBP 8gb ram, core 2 duo
Phil Gadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #13
Wrangler

As of 10.0.7 I've found FCP X to be very stable.

I had stability problems on older MBPs which were fixed by switching to the slower onboard GPU. Also I noticed that some particular text templates would be prone to crashing.

As of right now though, I'm happy with the stability through the whole process timeline editing, background rendering, effects, and exporting.
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:23 AM   #14
New Boot

Haven't experienced many problems since 10.0.6 update. What operating system are you on? 10.8?
Chris Northcross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X