DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   FCPX events and projects disappearing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/514453-fcpx-events-projects-disappearing.html)

Phil Gadd February 20th, 2013 11:11 AM

FCPX events and projects disappearing

Hi Guys

I moved all my FCPX events and projects to an external drive a few months ago. I did have a similar problem before where as FCPX would open up it would show you all the events and projects then they suddenly disappear!! I fixed that (something about a video at root level)

Yesterday, whilst migrating to my new 27 imac (quality by the way) the same thing has started to happen again!!.. sometimes, as its loading you can double-click on a project and it works fine.. I do store other fodlers on the same external drive, should I move everything off besides the events and projects folders??

Anyone got any ideas?

Dave Partington February 20th, 2013 01:45 PM

Re: FCPX events and projects disappearing

I would check your drive connections. I had one external drive that came and went with no rhyme or reason and caused me al sorts of connectivity problem. Change the drive and the problems went away. Just a thought.

Phil Gadd February 20th, 2013 01:54 PM

Strange thing is though Dave, as its loading my projects, if I quickly double click a project all the rest load in fine.. bizarre

Phil Gadd February 21st, 2013 01:52 AM

Dave, I received a message from apple forum

"Sorry to hear it. There is a long, pained set of postings on this subject here. I think that it's fair to say in summary that most people think that the common feature that people have in common is the video card.

There is evidence that Apple and FCP X engineers are aware of the problem and are working on a fix but nobody knows when it will come or how it will solve the problem(s.)"

William Hohauser February 21st, 2013 06:29 AM

If it is the video card, that would be be very odd. Especially since you seem to be on your second computer where the same issue is occurring. Have you performed any drive maintenance on the external drive? What sort of drive is it? It would be wise to backup all the data on that drive anyway but you should run the verify drive option in Disk Utility. Later you can purchase TechTools or Diskwarrior or take the drive (after being backed up) to a local computer service facility that has these programs. I would also change the cables on this external drive.

Phil Gadd February 21st, 2013 07:12 AM

I have 2 WD macbook studio 1TB , firewire 800

I have 'verified' the WD's and all is fine

I will check out tech tools and disk warrior as soon as my bank manager is speaking to me again as I also ordered a panasonic ag ac90 lol

Chris Northcross March 10th, 2013 06:20 AM

I had this issue with earlier versions of Final Cut Pro X and the culprit was the drive I was using had previously been used as a time machine drive. When I moved to a different drive, the issue disappeared.

William Hohauser March 10th, 2013 08:00 AM

The nature of Time Machine's back-up method creates a drive that is very fragmented and has an enormous directory file. This isn't an issue as long as it's used as a Time Machine drive and as storage for low bandwidth data (text, photos, music, etc.). Storing high bandwidth files such as HD video that will be viewed in FCP is not recommended.