Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old August 13th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #1
Trustee

Video Stabilization - effect on image quality

Video Stabilization - effect on image quality

Many of the videos I've been taking recently have been with a monopod and, more recently, handheld. The handheld ones have been from the deck of a sailboat so, as one might expect, there is a significant amount of motion.

Rather than running the video clips though Stabilization mode upon import I've been doing it after the clip, or portion of the clip, is imported into the timeline.

What I'm wondering is, if there is an quality loss when the clip is run through the stabilization mode?

If there is quality loss, would this increase as the amount of motion is increased?

When Stabilization is used on the hand-held boat videos I have to say I'm really impressed with how well it works. There have been a few "corrections" that have actually been worse than the original, but very few. Overall, the Stabilization option has been a real huge plus.

Edit: Just thought I'd add, my video shots are in 1440CBR if that matters.

P.S. Personal message to any Apple business managers:
If Apple doesn't give any of the previous FCPX purchasers some credit when (should I make that "IF") we upgrade to their new FCPX, I will be very unhappy. As one option, maybe I won't upgrade.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:22 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Video Stabilization - effect on image quality

Stabilization zooms the clip and adjusts its position to compensate for motion, so naturally, the more extreme the motion, the more the video quality is degraded. There are controls in FCPX to modify the strength of the effect.
Old August 14th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: Video Stabilization - effect on image quality

re: "Stabilization zooms the clip and adjusts its position to compensate for motion, so naturally, the more extreme the motion, the more the video quality is degraded."
That makes a lot of sense because there is a certain amount of cropping and the greater the movement up and down or side to side, the more cropping there is.

It would be interesting to know the details about how Stabilization handles a pixel. If the final version has to be, say 1440, and the process does cropping, then how does it handle the pixels? It would more or less have to stick a "filler pixel" in every so often in order to come up with the same pixel count. It would seem.

Thanks for mentioning about the additional controls. I'll check them out. If I recall, I think I remember seeing something like that or reading about it but in any event, if I did I totally forgot about it.
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X