DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Multi cam footage PER SAME TIMELINE? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/518421-multi-cam-footage-per-same-timeline.html)

Ron Kramer August 20th, 2013 08:44 AM

Multi cam footage PER SAME TIMELINE?

In other video editing programs this is easy. Lay in the tracks from multiple cameras and just jump from camera track to camera track to get different views (cuts) of the same action. I run 4 GoPro cameras.
You sync the tracks and it's easy from there.

Now that I'm on apple and using FCPX - I don't know how to do this? There isn't really a time line per se. Or I just don't know how to use it yet. I'd like to lay in 4 tracks in each above the other and just easily cut to the track I want for the shot angle.

Any tips? Suggestions?

William Hohauser August 20th, 2013 03:02 PM

Re: Multi cam footage PER SAME TIMELINE?

Is there a reason you are not using the multi cam function in FCPX? Otherwise just layer them like in FCP7 and split and disable clips as you wish. Just don't remove the clips you are disabling otherwise the layers will collapse and make things confusing.

Bill Davis August 20th, 2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Kramer (Post 1809264)
In other video editing programs this is easy. Lay in the tracks from multiple cameras and just jump from camera track to camera track to get different views (cuts) of the same action. I run 4 GoPro cameras.
You sync the tracks and it's easy from there.

Now that I'm on apple and using FCPX - I don't know how to do this? There isn't really a time line per se. Or I just don't know how to use it yet. I'd like to lay in 4 tracks in each above the other and just easily cut to the track I want for the shot angle.

Any tips? Suggestions?

The big suggestion is to read the on-line manuals?

Multicam switching is built directly into X, so there's no need to "stack" anything. It's a total waste of time.

Here's the process in a nutshell.

Load the individual cameras into the Event Browser (Import the clips)

If each clip doesn't have a clear audio track or a slate, find a sync point on each and put a marker on it (tap M when the playhead is on the sync point.)

Select all four clips and go to the "Make Multi-clip" menu.

X will create a special clip in the same event browser with a little 4 part window icon in the upper left corner.

Hightlight that clip.

Drag it into a new project.

Look through the menus and find the "Angle Editor" and show it.

Now play your clips and click on the angle you want to "take."

When you're done, you'll discover your your original storyline has been switched as you selected.

Period.

Really, just read the manual. It's all there.

Dave Partington August 22nd, 2013 02:57 PM

One of the things FCPX is so much better than most other NLEs at is Multicam editing. Seriously, if you can't read manuals, find an online tutorial (YouTube, Lynda.com, RippleTraining etc). You'll be so glad you did.