Multi cam footage PER SAME TIMELINE? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old August 20th, 2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Tourist

Multi cam footage PER SAME TIMELINE?

In other video editing programs this is easy. Lay in the tracks from multiple cameras and just jump from camera track to camera track to get different views (cuts) of the same action. I run 4 GoPro cameras.
You sync the tracks and it's easy from there.

Now that I'm on apple and using FCPX - I don't know how to do this? There isn't really a time line per se. Or I just don't know how to use it yet. I'd like to lay in 4 tracks in each above the other and just easily cut to the track I want for the shot angle.

Any tips? Suggestions?
Ron Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Multi cam footage PER SAME TIMELINE?

Is there a reason you are not using the multi cam function in FCPX? Otherwise just layer them like in FCP7 and split and disable clips as you wish. Just don't remove the clips you are disabling otherwise the layers will collapse and make things confusing.
Old August 20th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kramer View Post
In other video editing programs this is easy. Lay in the tracks from multiple cameras and just jump from camera track to camera track to get different views (cuts) of the same action. I run 4 GoPro cameras.
You sync the tracks and it's easy from there.

Now that I'm on apple and using FCPX - I don't know how to do this? There isn't really a time line per se. Or I just don't know how to use it yet. I'd like to lay in 4 tracks in each above the other and just easily cut to the track I want for the shot angle.

Any tips? Suggestions?
The big suggestion is to read the on-line manuals?

Multicam switching is built directly into X, so there's no need to "stack" anything. It's a total waste of time.

Here's the process in a nutshell.

Load the individual cameras into the Event Browser (Import the clips)

If each clip doesn't have a clear audio track or a slate, find a sync point on each and put a marker on it (tap M when the playhead is on the sync point.)

Select all four clips and go to the "Make Multi-clip" menu.

X will create a special clip in the same event browser with a little 4 part window icon in the upper left corner.

Hightlight that clip.

Drag it into a new project.

Look through the menus and find the "Angle Editor" and show it.

Now play your clips and click on the angle you want to "take."

When you're done, you'll discover your your original storyline has been switched as you selected.

Period.

Really, just read the manual. It's all there.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Trustee

One of the things FCPX is so much better than most other NLEs at is Multicam editing. Seriously, if you can't read manuals, find an online tutorial (YouTube, Lynda.com, RippleTraining etc). You'll be so glad you did.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X